The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum,

I'm writing cause I found a vintage Citizen which I really like, but I can't find any further information on this model to move forward.

The info the watch has is:

Front.
Citizen
Waterproof
21 jewels
Japan

Back.
4-180119 T
Waterproof
Stainless Steel
63-1078
Citizen
30701287 (first number its hard to read)

I far as I could research here and on the web (with the case number), it could be a Valiant with a Homer movement and it's from July, 1963/73. But all Valiants I saw had the "Valiant" under the Citizen logo.:undecided:

Does anyone have some other information about this watch?

I'm attaching two pictures I have.

Thanks in advance!
Fernando.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hi Fernando - this watch is an export model, with the 18xx Homer date movement. Although some of these have the Valiant model name, this one is simply marked Citizen, probably because it is an export model. Citizen typically dropped model names on export pieces. The use of 'Waterproof' is also a good indicator of an export model, rather than 'Parawater'. The serial number looks to me to start '907' giving a production date of July 1969 which is the correct period for the style of case back markings, and before 'waterproof' was replaced by 'water resistant' in the early 1970s.

Looks like a nice example, with the date window in that unusual position.

Stephen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Fernando - this watch is an export model, with the 18xx Homer date movement. Although some of these have the Valiant model name, this one is simply marked Citizen, probably because it is an export model. Citizen typically dropped model names on export pieces. The use of 'Waterproof' is also a good indicator of an export model, rather than 'Parawater'. The serial number looks to me to start '907' giving a production date of July 1969 which is the correct period for the style of case back markings, and before 'waterproof' was replaced by 'water resistant' in the early 1970s.

Looks like a nice example, with the date window in that unusual position.

Stephen
Thanks, Sweethand! Your opinion and knowledge it's always helpful!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surfing the internet I found this similar model (also with the date window in an unusual position), that appears to be a Valiant too, but without the "Valiant" brand.

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts