The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This came up on the bay as I was trolling around all over just doing random searches to see what popped up. While scrolling down a 6217-7000 world timer So I start checking it out. In the description it mentions exhibition back. I'm thinking the add means it has the special olimpic markings on the case back Nice! The dial look original light wear but nice. No name bracelet on it not a problem. Then as I flip to the next picture and this is the shot of the back of the watch.

and the dial

I though glass back presentation cased Seiko's did not come around until the kinetic 5M23 and the Seiko 5 powered with the 7S26 movements.
I'm lost for words on this one either it is super rare or it a beautiful 6217-7000 world timer that someone butchered. I'm sure it would be easy peasy lemon squeezy to find a spare 6217-7000 case back with the Olympic torch cast in the back. I hate stuff like this!

Michael

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Unusual case back and it does seem like it is of a similar period but I have never seen one of these before.

The movement is not that special or highly finished so I would find it very strange that this was official made by Seiko.

The bracelet does seem to be possibly original as I have seen this on a few examples and seem to recall this from a product image that I do not have on hand.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Before the 7s26 were the "Time Sonar" watches (7015, 7018). Their casebacks were smoked acrylic, AFAIK.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It appears someone has fitted a crystal in place of the (missing/lost?) caseback. The bracelet looks to be original and the dial has the dial code visible so it's not an early (1964) one. Looking at the rotor it's a Daini marked one so I'd guess it dates from when Daini were producing the 62mas in 1967. Unless it's a total mash up of course.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I recently sold a Seiko 6117-6010, which is the one with a red 24 hr. hand (1968). It would be a year or two newer than the one pictured I think. It had a solid screw-on back plate.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The split case back theory does make a lot of sense. I know I have bought a couple of older Seiko's for parts with cracks in the case backs. Some of those buggers can really get stuck over the years. I learned if does not pop off pretty easy it is not going to. I dip a brush in penetrating oil and keep running it on the seam and let it wick in. Come the next morning the case back that felt like it was welded on pops right off first try with the case knife. Someone ended up paying $220 bucks for the watch. I can't see it unless you had a good case with severely water damaged guts.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I very successfully took a standard issue 7S26 dress watch display back, removed the black ink printing to sanitize it, and spun it on to my 6117-6400 World Time. Fit like a glove and I loved it :)

It was one of those 'do it for your own enjoyment, don't worry about what others might think" kind of deals.

I ended up flipping it so I put on the original case back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I very successfully took a standard issue 7S26 dress watch display back, removed the black ink printing to sanitize it, and spun it on to my 6117-6400 World Time. Fit like a glove and I loved it :)

It was one of those 'do it for your own enjoyment, don't worry about what others might think" kind of deals.

I ended up flipping it so I put on the original case back.
Mods like that are fun because they are reversible if you ever decide to sell. I love it when you find parts from different models will fit together nicely giving a one of a kind watch and your not destroying anything in the process either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts