The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this will depend totally on each person, on how he/she looks at the hobby and what he/she expects from the hobby. Some things I "don't get", but I surely understand. Rolex, for instance. I personally wouldn't invest all that money on one of their watches. For the price I would be more satisfied with other watches out there, but I do understand the allure of their watches and the brand. Another example: it's very easy for me to see the point and why this could be interesting, but I wouldn't ever limit my spendings on one style of watch only. I can easily see why divers are so cool (I love 'em!) but I would never limit myself only to divers. There are too many nice watches out there to be limited to just one style.

But somethings I really can't grasp
. Panerai, for instance. I'm sure they are quality timepieces, and I'm fully aware of the history of the brand, but still... meh ::) . I can't find their watches the least attractive, but people go bonkers because of them. The Monster is another case: maybe Seiko's most popular diver, but for me it would come after maybe a dozen or more watches from the brand. And what about leather straps on a diver? Come on, divers were made for bracelets and/or plastic/rubber straps! I know people put leather even on the mighty AutoZilla ( :-[ ), but to me it's a sacrilege.

And what about you, what do you guys "don't get" in this hobby?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
never gotten the Panerai thing.

Personally I've never been interested in non-mechanical watches. At the risk of getting yelled at, quartz movements in nice cases make me think of an old girlfriend's Porsche. It was beautiful - a 1968 in that crazy orange they made at that time.

But, it wasn't a 911. It was a 912... the one with the hopped-up VW Superbeetle engine in it. I could just never take the thing seriously. It even SOUNDED like a Superbeetle despite having a different exhaust configuration.

Now, I know quartz movements are more precise, generally last longer etc etc.. but I just can't make myself think of them as a real watch movement.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Spencer, I loved that Porsche 912 hahaha! ...poor man's porsche or rich man's 914 hahaha!
And what about the iconic Seiko 7Axx quartz models!!!? hehehe!

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Simple my friend. You are exhibit "A" of one of the many contradicting aspects of this hobby..... Collector's that have an irrational dislike for quartz technology. I feel that there is a prevalent lack of education, bias and ignorance when it comes to the vast and wonderful world of quartz and it's amazing contributions to horology as a whole.

Spencer said:
never gotten the Panerai thing.

Personally I've never been interested in non-mechanical watches. At the risk of getting yelled at, quartz movements in nice cases make me think of an old girlfriend's Porsche. It was beautiful - a 1968 in that crazy orange they made at that time.

But, it wasn't a 911. It was a 912... the one with the hopped-up VW Superbeetle engine in it. I could just never take the thing seriously. It even SOUNDED like a Superbeetle despite having a different exhaust configuration.

Now, I know quartz movements are more precise, generally last longer etc etc.. but I just can't make myself think of them as a real watch movement.
[/quote]

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I don't get why people don't take quartz more seriously.

PS...I'm not ripping on you Spencer...I was going to type this even before I read your post. ;)

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Things I do not get:

Only mechanical watches have soul and should only be considered the only acceptable watch movements.

Only Swiss watches are worth consideration. Anything else is garbage

Quartz watches have no soul and therefore can not be considered real watch movements.

People that buy watches for the function of drawer or safe queens

Self professed watch enthusiats that diss this or that type of movement technology and claim to be open minded (only when it is convenient).

I'll think of some more later. Have to take my quartz Porsche 912 for a spin.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
8)
nhoJ said:
I don't get why people don't take quartz more seriously.

PS...I'm not ripping on you Spencer...I was going to type this even before I read your post. ;)
Because of a sheer lack of education in the subject of quartz watches, the erroneous belief that all quartz watches are created equal and the falsehoods and misinformation that hardcore mechanical watch aficionados have spread all over the Internet for years to no end.

Just to clarify my position here, my most expensive watches in my collection are mechanical, but a true watch enthusiast will never fail to recognize the huge impact and potential afforded by quartz technology.

Not to pick on our friend Spencer, but to say that quartz watches are not real watches is really over the top and suggests much mid information IMHO.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
thianwong said:
Spencer, I loved that Porsche 912 hahaha! ...poor man's porsche or rich man's 914 hahaha!
And what about the iconic Seiko 7Axx quartz models!!!? hehehe!

I shouldn't have said "real watch". That's not really what I meant. I have a hard time taking quartz movements seriously. I've never looked into them much, don't know much about them. That said, they're just not my thing.

I freely admit that my issues with Quartz movements are not entirely logical. Watch preferences are entirely personal, and subjective. I don't care much for Angelina Jolie either, a viewpoint that flabbergasts a lot of guys I know. We like what we like.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the mid to late 70s were such an ugly time IMO with the Swiss houses closing down or producing garbage, and I closely identify quartz watches with the cheapness and horribleness of the mid to late 70s. During that time, I loved pre-war tank watches, military watches from WW2, dress watches from the early post-war era. Now, I've modified that to where I'm now primarily focused on late 60s and early to mid 70s Seiko mechanicals. I'm just not interested in quartz, for good or bad, logical or illogical. Not my thing. ;D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
minidriver said:
Just to clarify my position here, my most expensive watches in my collection are mechanical, but a true watch enthusiast will never fail to recognize the huge impact and potential afforded by quartz technology.
Luciano,
One of the things I "don't get" is wearing a big, heavy diver for... desk diving. :-[

OK guys, no trying to start a flame war here, peace and love... :-*

Another thing I don't get is why some people believe RC quartz movements aren't as good as HEQ ones. Imho they are better...

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ADB said:
One of the things I "don't get" is wearing a big, heavy diver for... desk diving. :-[
Oh come on Andrew, it's way more practical then wearing a weight belt.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't get...

How a business I worked very hard to create over twenty-odd years could evaporate because of vintage Seiko watches.

How I could re-invent myself yet again (but so late in life), becoming a provider and manufacturer of Seiko parts.

How my efforts to to provide a little service, knowledge and encouragement to others afflicted with Vinatage Seikosis could blossom into a world-spanning circle of friends and associates.

How, after living high on the hog, low and slow, down and out, and in between, my life has become quite satisfying (save the foibles and infirmities that gather with age) due to things I could never have foreseen or even guessed in my misbegotten youth.

No, I don't quite get these things (and so many more) but I have a great appreciation for them and this wonderful world of WIS-dom.

Thank you all for the challenge, the encouragement and the support you have so generously shown.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
swedefreak said:
I don't get...

How a business I worked very hard to create over twenty-odd years could evaporate because of vintage Seiko watches.

How I could re-invent myself yet again (but so late in life), becoming a provider and manufacturer of Seiko parts.

How my efforts to to provide a little service, knowledge and encouragement to others afflicted with Vinatage Seikosis could blossom into a world-spanning circle of friends and associates.

How, after living high on the hog, low and slow, down and out, and in between, my life has become quite satisfying (save the foibles and infirmities that gather with age) due to things I could never have foreseen or even guessed in my misbegotten youth.

No, I don't quite get these things (and so many more) but I have a great appreciation for them and this wonderful world of WIS-dom.

Thank you all for the challenge, the encouragement and the support you have so generously shown.

That's a GREAT post, Jonathan.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
What I don't get is... WIS (into swiss only) that insist to diss Seiko high-end equivalent to the swiss counterparts.

Generally, these guys are known for saying rubbish like this, upon viewing a Marine Master for instance, and I quote: " Oh, that's a nice watch, but I will never dish out this kind of dough on a Seiko. With that kinda money I can buy more special pieces, namely swiss ones."

The above statement was written by a local forum mod in my country, Brazil.

Stuff like this irks me to no end.....in fact, it pisses me off real bad. Ignorance is not a bliss, is a disgrace. :mad:

Thanks! Rant off.
CHRIS

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
ADB said:
Luciano,

OK guys, no trying to start a flame war here, peace and love... :-*

Another thing I don't get is why some people believe RC quartz movements aren't as good as HEQ ones. Imho they are better...

Cheers,

I think R/C movements plus solar are the future of quartz. Some HEQ fans feel that radio control technology is a way to "cheat" into making an average quartz movement act like a very accurate one. The notion of "time correction via a radio time signal" doesn't bode well with these folks.

I have tremendous amount of appreciation for R/C and high accuracy quartz movements. But given how much more refined and precise R/C movements have become in recent years and most developed nations in the northern hemisphere have their own atomic clock radio transmitters, it seems like a no brainer to incorporate R/C technology into wrist watches as the simple and elegant solution to the problem of very accurate timekeeping. From this perspective, one could say that HEQ makes more sense for folks living in the earth's southern hemisphere where, at present, there are no atomic clock and atomic clock radio broadcasts. So if you live in South America, Africa, Oceania, etc, a high accuracy quartz watch will be the best solution.

HEQ movements require more development, boast tremendous technology and they (depending on the movement and whether they use thermo compensation or not) are either very affordable (Seiko 8F calibers, upcoming Bulova Precisionists, Pulsar PR-10, Citizen E510, etc) or expensive like the Citizen Chronomaster's A660 (-/+ 5 secs per year, most precise quartz watch in the world) or the ETA super quartz movements used in the Omega Constellation, Rolex Oysterquartz or Breitling B1-Aerospace watches.

High accuracy quartz movements are more expensive, most people (and here is the irony of it all) are not interested or don't necessarily feel that they need their watches to have accuracy down to a few seconds per year and hence they won't pay the added premium for it.

R/C technology is very convenient, works well and it is reasonably priced. However, a lot of people have a deep amount of respect and appreciation for timepieces capable of maintaining high levels of accuracy without the aid of external time correction methods.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Chris said:
What I don't get is... WIS (into swiss only) that insist to diss Seiko high-end equivalent to the swiss counterparts.

Generally, these guys are known for saying rubbish like this, upon viewing a Marine Master for instance, and I quote: " Oh, that's a nice watch, but I will never dish out this kind of dough on a Seiko. With that kinda money I can buy more special pieces, namely swiss ones."

The above statement was written by a local forum mod in my country, Brazil.

Stuff like this irks me to no end.....in fact, it pisses me off real bad. Ignorance is not a bliss, is a disgrace. :mad:

Thanks! Rant off.
CHRIS

+1

Snobs married to a brand name and image.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Frank, don't forget one thing: R/C is not available world wide, and it's a global market. Though I do agree solar power is the future for quartz watches, it would make more sense from a market stand-point to invest in HAQ watches, since they would sell anywhere and not just in places that have radio coverage.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts