The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been collecting watches for a while now and often will get watches bundled together either through auction sites or yard sales along with the, usually, one watch I am interested in. Often times they will include the ubiquitous Seiko quarts analog or digital. Quartz are not my thing but I hate to just trash them as many still work, is there a demand for any of the older ones from the late 70's or 80's like the A914 or 7546?

Thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
If people buy them on eB*y, then there's demand. If they're not your thing, that's what I'd recommend, get them to people who do want them.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Speaking for me and one other member here the 7548 Quarts movement is a valuable item. I just watched a 7548 movement only sell for over $40 bucks. The 7546 which is similar also has a small cult following. Both movements power two Sports type diver models that have a unique look and are a bit scare which makes it fun to track down parts and restore them. If you want to offload them shoot me an private message and I will gladly take them off your hands for a fair price. Just let me know what you have.

Michael

·
Administrator
32,628 Posts
Speaking for me and one other member here the 7548 Quarts movement is a valuable item. I just watched a 7548 movement only sell for over $40 bucks. The 7546 which is similar also has a small cult following. Both movements power two Sports type diver models that have a unique look and are a bit scare which makes it fun to track down parts and restore them. If you want to offload them shoot me an private message and I will gladly take them off your hands for a fair price. Just let me know what you have.

Michael
That was cheap, wish i had seen it :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That was cheap, wish i had seen it :)
It was a eBay listing from a seller in the states who would only sell inside the States. I tried to win it for another member here who gave me a $40 US max bid. It could have gone higher I'm sure. Even harder to find the 7546 though I managed to buy a complete watch that was running to rob the movement from to repair my Sports 100 diver. I myself love both quartz and mechanical Seiko's equally.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Me too. The 7546 and 7548 are drop in replacements for the 6309 divers watches. ;)
Cool! I did not know that. I love an interesting mod like that. Which movement holder do you use the 6309 or the 7546-8 holder? Also I wonder could that mod be done in reverse? Remove the unthreaded tube and replace it with a thread tube and crown and make something like a 3 Bar amateur diver. Sorry I love mods and lets face it I doubt many people would object to seeing a 7546 or 7548 case being moded out. Plus there are plenty of 6309 movements out there. Way more at least then 7546 or 7548 quartz movements.

Michael

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cool! I did not know that. I love an interesting mod like that.
Michael
Seiko 7546, 7548 and 7549. Pulsar Y512.
Can also use Seiko 7545 but it has no day wheel. Can be added with 6309 parts.
Need 6309 day and date wheels if your quartz had the crown at 3:00.
The crown and stem from the 6309 fit the quartz movements.
I believe that these all fit the 6309 holder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a 7546-8549 on eBay for $44.88 (item 20120306164). All-in it's more like $75. It's supposed to arrive roughly on the 15th.

The watch itself isn't very important. What I really wanted were the band ends, which are impossible to find. This watch was the first one I've found in a year that had the correct band ends, which I need to fix my 7546-8049.

Yeah, I know. Admitting you like a quartz is a bit like admitting you liked that Chevette you had in the '80s: uncool and dorky. Well so what? I am uncool and dorky, and it is written that the uncool and dorky shall purchase uncool and dorky products. So there.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Cool! I did not know that. I love an interesting mod like that. Which movement holder do you use the 6309 or the 7546-8 holder? Also I wonder could that mod be done in reverse? Remove the unthreaded tube and replace it with a thread tube and crown and make something like a 3 Bar amateur diver. Sorry I love mods and lets face it I doubt many people would object to seeing a 7546 or 7548 case being moded out. Plus there are plenty of 6309 movements out there. Way more at least then 7546 or 7548 quartz movements.

Michael
The 754x movements are a lot more common than they first appear. I come across them quite regularly for very reasonable prices. They just aren't advertised as such. Since they don't have the following of the divers, they just get thrown on the bay with a vague description. Most of them don't have features that would make them stand out, so it's just a matter of checking caseback numbers in the pictures. The most I've paid for one (except the recent Pulsar diver) is $30 shipped. That includes a Silverwave Z. They're out there, they're just hiding. I only have a few, but find them a great alternative to the 6309, which I love. I restored a 7546 railroad timer for my dad and spent more on a sapphire crystal than I did on the watch. I put a 7545 in a diver mod for a cousin. All have arrived running except the Silverwave Z, which I haven't had a chance to sort out yet.

As far as I know, these are the movements within the same family.
Quartz:
7549 (though requires larger hands and are quite scarce)
7545 (date only)
7559 (push in crown to light up)
y512 (used in sub brands)
y513 (used in sub brands)
y514 (date only, used in sub brands)
y504 (used in sub brands)

Mechanical:
63A or 6300 (hand wind)
6306 (hacking)
6308 (date only)
6319 (21 jewels)
6347 (moon phase)
6349 (23 jewels)

These are the ones I know of, and I'm sure there are more.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I just bought a 7546-8549 on eBay for $44.88 (item 20120306164). All-in it's more like $75. It's supposed to arrive roughly on the 15th.

The watch itself isn't very important. What I really wanted were the band ends, which are impossible to find. This watch was the first one I've found in a year that had the correct band ends, which I need to fix my 7546-8049.

Yeah, I know. Admitting you like a quartz is a bit like admitting you liked that Chevette you had in the '80s: uncool and dorky. Well so what? I am uncool and dorky, and it is written that the uncool and dorky shall purchase uncool and dorky products. So there.
Hey I'm right there with you Tegger! I love both quartz and mechanical Seiko's just the same. A Seiko is an awesome watch no matter what type of movement it has in it.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The 754x movements are a lot more common than they first appear. I come across them quite regularly for very reasonable prices. They just aren't advertised as such. Since they don't have the following of the divers, they just get thrown on the bay with a vague description. Most of them don't have features that would make them stand out, so it's just a matter of checking caseback numbers in the pictures. The most I've paid for one (except the recent Pulsar diver) is $30 shipped. That includes a Silverwave Z. They're out there, they're just hiding. I only have a few, but find them a great alternative to the 6309, which I love. I restored a 7546 railroad timer for my dad and spent more on a sapphire crystal than I did on the watch. I put a 7545 in a diver mod for a cousin. All have arrived running except the Silverwave Z, which I haven't had a chance to sort out yet.

As far as I know, these are the movements within the same family.
Quartz:
7549 (though requires larger hands and are quite scarce)
7545 (date only)
7559 (push in crown to light up)
y512 (used in sub brands)
y513 (used in sub brands)
y514 (date only, used in sub brands)
y504 (used in sub brands)

Mechanical:
63A or 6300 (hand wind)
6306 (hacking)
6308 (date only)
6319 (21 jewels)
6347 (moon phase)
6349 (23 jewels)

These are the ones I know of, and I'm sure there are more.
Thanks for the awesome info! I can definitely see a quartz swap mod on my bench on day soon. That is if I can ever get the time to finish some of the stuff I have started!

Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts