The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently dug a Seiko chrono out of the "not worth fixing" box of a retired watchmaker.
The movement was water damaged obviously very early in its life as the rest of the watch is like new. The movement is marked as "7T32B", and I have a watchmaker friend who can replace it as my business is clock repair, rather than watch repair.
It seems a shame not to bring it back to life, I was lining it up as a gift to my son.
Is there any replacement movement available as Seiko don't do them anymore?
Thanks,
Ralph.
N.Z.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
There is an Ebay Seller located in France who sells brand new Seiko movements. They have many of the high end movements like the 7T34 7T36 7T62 7T84 and the 7T92 but not the 7T32. I am very curious if the 7T36 could be a drop in replacement for the 7T34 but I have to do some research first. The range in price from $130 to $63 dollars US. I believe they do not manufacture it anymore due to the fact that it is a bit of a power pig. Typical battery life for the 7T32 is a year or less depending on how much you use the other functions. It was used for quite some time but they developed the 7T62 which can do all of the same functions but with a battery life of over three years. Because of this I hoard 7T32 movements and I am willing to spend the huge amount of hours it takes to disassemble them to repair them and reassemble them. Your best bet I would say is to look for an eBay 7T32 that is 100% functional but has a beat up case and scratched up bracelet and swap you face and hands onto the good 7T32 movement. I think some of the old 7T32 Crono designs are some of the best looking Seiko's of their time. Good luck.

Michael

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi
Keep an eye out for older pulsar and lorus chronographs containing the Y182 movement, this is a 7t32b in all but name and is totaly interchangeable and you can easily swap over the top plate carrying the caliber number that holds the battery from the 7t32 to retain originality.
the lorus and pulsar models are generaly much cheaper than a seiko badged version.

seikola

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good advice.
I found a Lorus on Ebay which is now on its way to me.
Hopefully it works, as it was sold on that basis.....

Cheers,
Ralph.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I actually bought a salesman sample Chronograph on eBay that was a 7T32 for the bracelet and when I went to see what I could salvage from the movement that was not purposefully destroyed I discovered that the movement inside was not a 7T32 but a Y182 so I would have to agree 100% that it should be a drop in replacement for a Seiko 7T32. Lets us know how it works out. I am still dying to know if the 7T36 is also a direct drop in replacement for the 7T32.

Michael

Michael

·
Registered
11 Posts
See this is a very old post...need help understanding why a new battery won't jump start an old 7T32 (I did the Ac to + reset)

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
You really should start a new thread in the watchmaking & tinkering section, crabber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts