The Watch Site banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought the question was interesting. That it was apparently part of a post-pumping effort is unfortunate. I am mostly a lurker, but enjoy the site!

·
Registered
119 Posts
My watchmaker for over 10 years, Matt was a great guy and super talented, Jesse Medlock paid for his training in Switzerland (late 80s) then rented him a space in a strip mall that he owned, right next to his own offices. He did all of Jesse's work and had his shop called "Father Time" there until about 2008-9, even with a patron/benefactor and a sweetheart deal on a bricks and mortar place it was a hard road to make a real living. In the end he accepted a job with Honeywell at a defense contracting plant in Clearwater, they seek out and hire trained watchmakers, once he had his Q clearance (only 9 months) he was given his own "clean room" that no other employees has access too and had to commit to at least 80 hours every 2 weeks and they did not care what schedule he chose to work them in, he could also work up to 10 hours OT every 2 weeks if he chose to, full bennie package, his commute is over an hour and he is still happily working there and has not touched a watch since he started there. His salary started out roughly triple his best year in business and he is prohibited from discussing his actual work at all. When I saw this initial post along with the 15 other silly posts I didn't even read it, but today I saw how many responses it had garnered and after reading it I could not help but think of Matt.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
My watchmaker for over 10 years, Matt was a great guy and super talented, Jesse Medlock paid for his training in Switzerland (late 80s) then rented him a space in a strip mall that he owned, right next to his own offices. He did all of Jesse's work and had his shop called "Father Time" there until about 2008-9, even with a patron/benefactor and a sweetheart deal on a bricks and mortar place it was a hard road to make a real living. In the end he accepted a job with Honeywell at a defense contracting plant in Clearwater, they seek out and hire trained watchmakers, once he had his Q clearance (only 9 months) he was given his own "clean room" that no other employees has access too and had to commit to at least 80 hours every 2 weeks and they did not care what schedule he chose to work them in, he could also work up to 10 hours OT every 2 weeks if he chose to, full bennie package, his commute is over an hour and he is still happily working there and has not touched a watch since he started there. His salary started out roughly triple his best year in business and he is prohibited from discussing his actual work at all. When I saw this initial post along with the 15 other silly posts I didn't even read it, but today I saw how many responses it had garnered and after reading it I could not help but think of Matt.
Cool story nonetheless!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Yes actually I thought this was a legitimate question. I’m not going to switch my career either but I’m not that far away from retirement (or maybe a late career change) and I was thinking what it might be like to go into amateur then more professional fettling. My retirement job was possibly to go more into academia (I’m an adjunct professor for many years). But the more I see how it really works at universities I’m not so sure anymore.

Nzwatchdoc didn’t fill me with hope on fettling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
It’s sort of a shame we didn’t get to see the for sale post for that watch, I reckon it would have gone something like “700 no offers, I know what I have” 🤣

21 - 27 of 27 Posts