The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am not sure if i am currently encountering a bad run - but i would say 7 out of the last 10 watches i have bought off the bay have not been as described - to varying degrees.

This can range from those sold as new and unworn - but come with a few tell tale scratches - indicating they have been worn.

To out right blatant lies. My most recent acquitsion was a radio controlled nighthawk sold as perfect. It turned up yesterday - and not only was it trully battered but its does not work. Its junk. And the hands have been off at some stage - so quite possibly the seller new of this.

The one before that was a SRP227 at a decent price. Well it would have been decent if that one worked.

Just getting sick of dishonest sellers and ebays toleration of them.

Rant over - til the next time

·
Registered
61 Posts
I guess it's because the buyer has to proof that the condition isn't as described lately. So there isn't any buyer protection actually :(

Sent from my wooden drums using Tupperware

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just open a case, get my money and move on. Its tiresome and irritating but there are checks in place. Its not perfect but it works, at least for me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Funny, I felt like it was simply awful 10+ years ago. I remember my Dad buying a watch back then, having an issue and he's never returned to the bay. I've had a pretty good run but I buy mostly vintage. I ask more questions now and I "feel" like I've gotten better at reading pictures if that makes any sense at all...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just open a case, get my money and move on. Its tiresome and irritating but there are checks in place. Its not perfect but it works, at least for me.

Well...the latest case I opened was solved for the seller just because paypal wanted me to proof that the condition of the watch wasn't as described. And the only proof they would accept is a report from a watchmaker.
That'll cost about 100€ (I called some) which I don't wanted to spend so I lost the case :(

Sent from my wooden drums using Tupperware

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
well i guess i have been very blessed...i have bought many recently and other than one..all have been better than described...but i ask a ton of questions and pics...so sorry you have had such bad experiences..John

·
"The Prospector"
4,620 Posts
I went through a phase like that, I sent back more than I accepted, after a lot of hassle in some cases....
Of late though, I must say the few I have bought, have been as described and I have been pleased with them.
The only issue that i have, is that if I win the case and I return the item because it is not as described in the listing, I am required to pay the return carriage, so I am losing money from the 'off'.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Same here, never had a problem

I am like Juringo, John
I wondered that but I never had a single problem with any transaction.
Everyone has been better than I expected and great prices and some extras.
Always a good seller for buying from.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When I started out (often buying from puppy mill watch sellers) I had to return about 3 out of 10 watches for not running as described (always amicably - if they weren't happy to accept a return I just ate my losses and forgot it) - eBay gave me a caution for too many returns of items not listed as returnable. To those opening many cases do be aware eBay may ultimately judge you a problem buyer and suspend you/withdraw buyer protection. Didn't happen to me but I googled around after the warning and it has definitely happened to some... Now I mostly buy on forums and touch wood have never needed to return an item.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I suppose Ebay works both ways, there are bad buyers and bad sellers. I actively seek out junk for spares and projects but what pisses me off is misrepresentation and over description. The problem is condition can be subjective and so many get carried away and describe a watch as mint or NOS when it is only fair condition.

On the subject of return postage, at least it makes the buyer think trice about returning a good item. I once had a buyer email me to say they did not like the watch and I want a refund and return postage I know my rights etc DSR regulations etc. I politely told them DSR does not apply to a private sale and told them to spin on it:) and I am not a shop with returns policy.

·
Administrator
30,683 Posts
I have been on ebay 14 years and had 100s of transactions both as a buyer and seller and in all that time I have only returned one item (a watch).

Some of the "stuff" i have bought has been real shite, fakes etc etc and when i say real shite I mean it but thats my risk perhaps for buying from poor pictures, poor descriptions, cheap etc hoping for that bargain.

Also in that time I have bought plenty of OK stuff and some GREAT (imo) stuff.

I don't complain to the seller I have bought the crap from and I don't contact the seller I bought the GREAT stuff from, it's all part of life's little gambles and gains you experience.

I say buyers (and sellers) should do the research and if after that you still make mistakes thats your problem and should live with your decision, man up and stop bleating :) it makes me shudder how i hear guys will return for this that and the other, jeeeze!!!

Does the above count as a rant ? :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bought watches with very well worded descriptions, and they have been the worst so far. I stick with decent pictures, and a don't know description, best watches ever! If in doubt ask questions, and if no satisfactory answer given walk away, or bid/BIN at your own peril.
Regards, David

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
No id say its more like good old common sense.

Every watch ive got from Fleabay has been crap, but thats because i only bid on crap.
The only 2 decent watches i have purchased were a Pogue which i bought from a trusted member of this forum, and a 7002 7020 from Mountapo, and i figured with that one, if it was crap i have enough knowledge, spares and helpfull forum members to sort it.
my 2p worth

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have been on ebay 14 years and had 100s of transactions both as a buyer and seller and in all that time I have only returned one item (a watch).

Some of the "stuff" i have bought has been real shite, fakes etc etc and when i say real shite I mean it but thats my risk perhaps for buying from poor pictures, poor descriptions, cheap etc hoping for that bargain.

Also in that time I have bought plenty of OK stuff and some GREAT (imo) stuff.

I don't complain to the seller I have bought the crap from and I don't contact the seller I bought the GREAT stuff from, it's all part of life's little gambles and gains you experience.

I say buyers (and sellers) should do the research and if after that you still make mistakes thats your problem and should live with your decision, man up and stop bleating :) it makes me shudder how i hear guys will return for this that and the other, jeeeze!!!

I take your point but I think most people are talking about returning stuff that has been clearly misrepresented (e.g. A non-runner with a rotor that won't turn listed as GWO). As a seller I would immediately accept a return if the buyer felt it was misrepresented and I would expect the same as a buyer. If I have buyers remorse or don't think an item looks as good as I'd hoped I flip it with more accurate pics, and I'm sure most of us are the same.

To my mind allowing returns shows honest intentions and good faith, just as only using the returns process for legitimate reasons (misrepresented items) does...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
30,683 Posts
I take your point but I think most people are talking about returning stuff that has been clearly misrepresented (e.g. A non-runner with a rotor that won't turn listed as GWO). As a seller I would immediately accept a return if the buyer felt it was misrepresented and I would expect the same as a buyer. If I have buyers remorse or don't think an item looks as good as I'd hoped I flip it with more accurate pics, and I'm sure most of us are the same.

To my mind allowing returns shows honest intentions and good faith, just as only using the returns process for legitimate reasons (misrepresented items) does...

I don't accept returns but i used too until i sold a REALLY nice 4006-6027 and after it was received the buyer said it wouldent run (when i sold it it was running superb) I was amazed and refunded the buyer and paid his return postage, when i got it back the movement had been swapped and also the crown and stem, assole, never again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Always bid based on the pictures alone and ignore any sales patter in the description. Only useful info in the description will be if it runs or not.

If it something special it's worth asking the seller for more info/history and high-res pics (all good evidence if the sale turns sour).

Check if the seller is a serial watch flipper. If they're selling something nice in a "spares or repairs" lot, you can guarantee it's toast, otherwise they would have repaired it themselves.

It cuts both ways, my best bargains have come from poor/generic descriptions and bad pictures.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I sell lots of stuff on Ebay and, as with all vintage watches, I do get the occasional complaint. Most recently was a quartz Radio, losing 5 minutes or more a day.. Turned out to be a loose cannon pinion. Some time ago I had a Longines the buyer said would not keep time, had it returned, timed it against an atomic controlled watch and it seemed perfect so I sold it again. One week later it was back again.. Turns out the incabloc wasn't in place properly and the watch was working fine except dial down. I find the being prompt and never getting into an argument with buyers works quite well. I always offer repair or refund, and many times a repair is fine.
Saying that I bought an Accutron 218 recently described as working well when in fact the cannon pinion is worn and the hour/minute hands do not advance.. Its a nice watch so I'm trying to get it fixed..

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't accept returns but i used too until i sold a REALLY nice 4006-6027 and after it was received the buyer said it wouldent run (when i sold it it was running superb) I was amazed and refunded the buyer and paid his return postage, when i got it back the movement had been swapped and also the crown and stem, assole, never again.

Fair enough - as you know I was recently on the receiving end of a dodgy buyer which I admit has rather put me off selling on ebay. I guess the lesson is that people will abuse the system at both ends and the best you can do is use whatever protections are in place within the system. I think the power is certainly weighted towards the buyer but it doesn't mean sellers don't still try and succeed in abusing the system too. Ultimately I think the more scammers at both ends who are held accountable, the safer the community becomes...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts