The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
30,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I bought a movement from Mike (Mounce) who is one of those sellers you can't go wrong with imo :)

Last week i received it promptly as always from Mike but in the package there was also a Arnie case with a broken shroud screw in it, I assumed he had sent it for me to attempt to remove the broken off screw for him but when i contacted him he told me it was a "gift" for me, thanks Mike :)

So I knocked up a holding fixture, I love fixtures even for one off's.

First off lined up one of the good holes and then indexed round 60 deg to the broken screw, milled the top of the screw flat ready for centre drilling as this prevents the drill running off, centre drilled it about the core dia of the thread and as the drill broke through what remained of the screw came clear of the thread, job done and a nice clean thread.

Anyone know the correct thread size for the Arnie ? , I would like to run a tap down the threads just to clean them out totally, it looks to be M2 but I don't know the pitch.

Looks like I now have another long term project, build another Arnie as I now have a case and shroud so if anyone has Arnie parts they would like to sell you now know who to contact :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Nice work John. :cool: I do envy you your workshop facilities, as someone who started his working life as an apprentice instrument maker and retired as a special purpose machine designer I would love to have access to machining facilities again. :(

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
the right tools are key...Tiger you do excellent work..

·
Registered
322 Posts
Regarding screw size, they are not in any generic size.

Andy(who sells Tuna screws) and I went through this when I asked him if he could make a set of Arnie screws. I think we came to the conclusion that they are M2.3 based off the original screws I had for my Arnie.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Great Info thraxeh....amazing that they make so many different thread pitches too

·
Administrator
30,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding screw size, they are not in any generic size.

Andy(who sells Tuna screws) and I went through this when I asked him if he could make a set of Arnie screws. I think we came to the conclusion that they are M2.3 based off the original screws I had for my Arnie.
Thanks, thats what i am thinking.

There is a calibration company not a million miles away from where i live which i used for my inspection kit when i was still in the engineering and I got on well with the owner (might be retired now), I will take the case up there and see if they will check it out for me exactly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts