The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that the 6306 models were JDM (Japan Domestic Models) and were only produced from 1976-1981 (6 years only).

Distribution was limited to the Japanese market only. Nowadays, the 6306 models are considered rare since they are scarce. Also, the rarity goes further depending on what 6306 model you are looking for.

Below are the three 6306 models and their corresponding production dates (information gathered from research):

6306-7000 - produced only in 1976 (1 year only) *but I have seen with case back dated 1977

6306-7001 - produced from 1977-1981

6306-7001 SCUBAPRO 450 - produced in limited quantities and production date cannot be specified.

Now, back to my question: Is a SEIKO 6306-7001 SCUBAPRO 450 rare?

I always thought that the SCUBAPRO 450 were produced in limited quantity and year specific to 1978. But after doing some research, there are SCUBAPRO 450 with case backs dated 1977, 1979 and even 1981.

So does this mean that the SCUBABRO 450 was not only produced in 1978 but was also produced in limited quantities in 1977, 1979 and 1981?

If this is true, then I think there were a lot of this watch model produced. How many per year? :confused:

Is it rare because of the marking SCUBAPRO 450, thus making it distinct and different from the other 6306 models?

Is the 6306-7000 rarer than a 6306 SCUBAPRO 450 since it was only produced for a year?

Is the 6306-7001 SCUBAPRO 450 considered a GRAIL Seiko Vintage watch?

I would like to hear from others (owners of SCUBAPRO 450, seikoholics, seiko vintage collectors and horologists).

You may be able to provide answers to these questions or give additional information. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and welcome.

Have you read this post ?

Yes, I have read it and used it as one of my references. (Very useful)

So I guess, the Scubapro 450 is not that rare but it is scarce.

Maybe a complete NOS Scubapro 450 might be considered rare. :3tens:

Ex: Unused or unopened case back watch with the original plastic box, Scubapro marked rubber bracelet, unopened manual and Authenticity Certificate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well on ebay it's "rare"

Along with every other vintage Seiko

LOL
Your observation is correct. Sellers in eBay are always including the word "rare" most of the time a Seiko vintage is posted for sale.

This attracts interest and bidding.

In the end, not necessarily rare...old probably or scarce.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Yes, I have read it and used it as one of my references. (Very useful)

So I guess, the Scubapro 450 is not that rare but it is scarce.

Maybe a complete NOS Scubapro 450 might be considered rare. :3tens:

Ex: Unused or unopened case back watch with the original plastic box, Scubapro marked rubber bracelet, unopened manual and Authenticity Certificate.
IMO i think you could consider that pretty rare and valuable :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO i think you could consider that pretty rare and valuable :)
How much do you think a NOS or Mint with complete box, strap and paperwork cost nowadays? Do you think it is still available?

For a clean and pre-owned Scubapro (just the watch), may I ask what is the estimated price?

I would like know....fate might be good to me and might bump into one someday :13:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well anytime you find a watch with all of that...i would venture to say at least 10% or more value...it all depends on market conditions and quality of original parts...i doubt there is very many still around with all of that included in nos or mint condition

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
There's used one for sale now on Yahoo Jp, condition looks good, starting price 80,000 ¥ = £450 = $675

·
Registered
578 Posts
How much do you think a NOS or Mint with complete box, strap and paperwork cost nowadays? Do you think it is still available?

For a clean and pre-owned Scubapro (just the watch), may I ask what is the estimated price?

I would like know....fate might be good to me and might bump into one someday :13:
You would be hard pressed to find a standard NOS 6306 let alone a ScubaPro branded one... I would guess between £500-£1000

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts

I suspect you may have sight of one ?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm willing to bet that while the run in years may have been longer for the scubapro, that the total number of watches produced was ALOT less. these were like the comex sea dwellers produced for the comex divers.

while there might be opposing views on that, here's what I ultimately go by: try finding a scubapro, a good one. sure, they pop up once in a blue moon, but they are not an easy watch to find, period.

I had two and had to sell one (among other watches) when I moved from one house to another (needed some remodeling prior to moving in!..grrrr). I sold it for decent coin, but if I didn't need some fast cash to pay the contractor, I would have sold the "ex" first, before selling the watch LOL.

<* shark >>><

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Considering they are JDM 6306 divers are relatively easy to find. There are plenty of fakes around but a real Scubapro 450 is definitely not easy!

·
2,237 Posts
I'm willing to bet that while the run in years may have been longer for the scubapro, that the total number of watches produced was ALOT less. these were like the comex sea dwellers produced for the comex divers.

while there might be opposing views on that, here's what I ultimately go by: try finding a scubapro, a good one. sure, they pop up once in a blue moon, but they are not an easy watch to find, period.

I had two and had to sell one (among other watches) when I moved from one house to another (needed some remodeling prior to moving in!..grrrr). I sold it for decent coin, but if I didn't need some fast cash to pay the contractor, I would have sold the "ex" first, before selling the watch LOL.

<* shark >>><
Except that COMEX played a key role in the development of the Rolex diver's watches - the HEV.

AFAIK Scubapro just received 'dial branded' watches for retail purposes.

I stand to be corrected of course!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So far, no Scubapro 450 in sight. :(

Yes, its really hard to find a good one (SCUBAPRO 450). Same also with the 6306-7000.

When a Scubapro 450 is being sold, I always hesitate since I am concerned with provenance. I want to buy from the original owner.

Anyway, I want to own one since it is a part of the Seiko Divers watch history.

To all owners of the REAL 6306-7001 SCUBAPRO 450, may I request for your pics so that I'll know how a real Scubapro 450 looks like.

If I can't get provenance, then I'll just have to go with the pics and my gut feeling :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finished at 144,000 ¥ = £816 = $1223
That's a lot of money for a watch that has a a deep scratch :a102:
So the Scubapro 450 costs more than a minty 6105-8110.

I could just imagine a mint complete set can easily break the $2000 mark.

Among the 6306 models, the Scubapro 450 is the most sought after.

Thanks for the update on the bidding :13:

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
To all owners of the REAL 6306-7001 SCUBAPRO 450, may I request for your pics so that I'll know how a real Scubapro 450 looks like.

If I can't get provenance, then I'll just have to go with the pics and my gut feeling :eek:hmy:
Here's mine recently purchased from a member of this forum. It is all original and in lovely condition. I am not going to say what I paid for it, - but it was more than the above one that sold recently at auction.

If you want provenance and original box and papers, I daren't even think what it may cost you if you ever find one.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts