The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just a reminder that International Pogue Day will soon be upon us. It is (as always) on November 16th and this year marks the 46th anniversary of when Commander Bill Pogue blasted off to Skylab in 1973 with his gold faced 6139-6005 tucked away about his person, making it the first automatic chronograph in space.

As has fast become a tradition, on 16th November a lot of us will be wearing our 6139's to celebrate this fact. Spread the word, join in, enjoy the wrist shots of all the beautiful 6139's that you will see across forums and across social media sites - use the hashtag #internationalpogueday to flag it up and spread the word on all the watch forums you visit. The incomparable Jonas @mrjones is using his many talents to update the banners and pictures for this year, they will be following in the not too distant future for us all to use.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Tongue planted firmly in cheek ....

Not wishing to derail your valiant effort, Phil, but it seems to me (certainly going by the number of threads on the first page, which include '6139' or 'Pogue' in their title) that every day is a 'Pogue Day' on SCWF. :p

Perhaps I should advocate that November 26th be nominated International Spationaute III day.
It was after all, the first fully analogue quartz chronograph in space (November 26th 1988).

·
Registered
25,449 Posts
Not wishing to derail your valiant effort, Phil, but it seems to me (certainly going by the number of threads on the first page, which include '6139' or 'Pogue' in their title) that every day is a 'Pogue Day' on SCWF. :p

Perhaps I should advocate that November 26th be nominated International Spationaute III day.
It was after all, the first fully analogue quartz chronograph in space (November 26th 1988).

Love It :cool::grin:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

:) You are quite right, every day is Pogue Day somewhere Paul! And that Yema is a cracker! Might be slightly harder to find than a 6139 though possibly :grin:

·
Banned
885 Posts
Sorry for the derail, Phil. It's a shame Colonel William Pogue isn't around to take part in the celebrations of his much-hyped watch.

Last year I managed to get Michel Tognini (France's 3rd astronaut - and hence Spationaute IIIeme) to participate in my little celebration of the 30th anniversary of the 1988 Aragatz mission.

Although he was given his own Yema (7T32 based) model for the 1992 Antares mission, he still wears his Spationaute III (from when he was back-up crew member to Aragatz in 1988). Incidentally, Michel (who doesn't use the title) attained the rank of Brigadier General in the French Air Force, before embarking on his career as an astronaut.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sorry for the derail, Phil. It's a shame Colonel William Pogue isn't around to take part in the celebrations of his much-hyped watch.

Last year I managed to get Michel Tognini (France's 3rd astronaut - and hence Spationaute IIIeme) to participate in my little celebration of the 30th anniversary of the 1988 Aragatz mission.

Although he was given his own Yema (7T32 based) model for the 1992 Antares mission, he still wears his Spationaute III (from when he was back-up crew member to Aragatz in 1988). Incidentally, Michel (who doesn't use the title) attained the rank of Brigadier General in the French Air Force, before embarking on his career as an astronaut.
Wow. This is a great story. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Can't recall if I even have a Pogue..........;)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Wow, great story leading up to the best day ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,932 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Perfect, I’m dropping one of these in my email signature so people will ask me about it!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I am already ramping up with the watches and the order to present day by day and which one to culminate with on November 16 which is a no-brainer (teaser...)

·
Special Member
4,600 Posts
I am already ramping up with the watches and the order to present day by day and which one to culminate with on November 16 which is a no-brainer (teaser...)

Contando dinero frente a pobres!

You probably have enough to start the parade already, Jon

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
I am ready to go !
hard to believe how fast the year has flown by ...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We need a calendar of "Seiko's in Space". Looks like the A289-6019 Seiko Digital NASA was handing out in the 80's (according to this article: https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-digital-sports-seiko-a829-6019-that-went-into-space/) launched on the shuttle on Oct 30th, which we just missed.

That would be interesting. I’d imagine adding it all up you’d probably hit the full 365 days? No competition for the speedy, although I’d imagine there were lots of different models that were used. @ewand would know I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Poet Laureate
843 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts