The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this interesting dial the other day. I wasn't sure if it was real or not, but I got it for the price of a dinner, so how could I go wrong.

What makes me think it's a vintage redial is that the lume is not just cream color but "puffy" and I don't think you can just create that. But it seems a bit off so maybe an older redial ?

While a lot seems right about it, but there are two things that just make me think it is not pure original.
1. No Suwa symbol
2. The hour and minute hashes don't seem thick enough.

The back has jeweler etchings with numbers and letters but I can't make them out. They do seem to date it as being older though.

Last photo is my 6195-8110 that I had planned to pull for a relume for comparison.

We have some experts here hope you can chime in. Any thoughts are welcome !
IMG_20200625_225703.jpg
IMG_20200625_225915.jpg
IMG_20200625_230019.jpg
IMG_20200625_230446.jpg
IMG_20200625_230345~2.jpg
IMG_20200625_230857~2.jpg
IMG_20200625_230645.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
Compare the lume surrounds and you’ll see that your loose dial has been ground down and repainted. To say nothing of the printing’s font and clarity. Job numbers are often scribed on dials sent for refinishing for the refinisher to keep track of them during the process.

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
So, is the dial an original dial that's been
"redialed"?

Or is it an am dial that's old and has been "redialed"?

Mike

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The place near Columbus Ohio I was going to have restore a Citizen dial told me he had created a plate for restoring 6105 dials some years ago and that it was the only Japanese watch he’d done that for. He also told me when restoring dials with raised plots like these they usually wind up rounded over a bit like yours shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The place near Columbus Ohio I was going to have restore a Citizen dial told me he had created a plate for restoring 6105 dials some years ago and that it was the only Japanese watch he’d done that for. He also told me when restoring dials with raised plots like these they usually wind up rounded over a bit like yours shows.
Very interesting stuff Michael. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Compare the lume surrounds and you’ll see that your loose dial has been ground down and repainted. To say nothing of the printing’s font and clarity. Job numbers are often scribed on dials sent for refinishing for the refinisher to keep track of them during the process.
A-ha! Case back markings to indicate the redial job number - makes so much sense.

Thank you Noah.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A member messaged me and to preserve anonymity I will say I completely agree with how well he stated it. Just captures how I feel about it, too.

"It doesn't matter to me if it's genuine or am.. I think it looks cool. I sort like the idea of thinking that someone went to a lot of trouble and took a lot of time to make that. It looks a lot better than a plain Jane AM dial."

Says it all !

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Well that has answered a question that has been puzzling me for a while.....About 4 or 5 years a go I bought a 6309-7290 to use as a donor for a 'TST' project.... Initially I thought that it had an original dial, as the 12 o'clock index came to a point and wasn't truncated with a flat at the bottom as all the AM dials appear to have, till I noticed it had a Daini logo instead of the Suwa one!

On removing it this was scratched on the back...

Now obvious that it was a redial and as it wasn't an embossed dial like the 6105 one the form of the original indexes was marked on it as well as the job number etc.... The Daini Suwa logo mix up must have been because the 7002 dial with similar shaped indexes would have had a Daini logo....

·
Special Member
2,621 Posts
A long time ago this Golden Tuna popped up on our favorite auction site and I quickly hit the Buy It Now. But after looking more closely at the photos it just did not seem right so I quickly cancelled the sale. I never quite knew what was going on with this Dial. Repainted? or Just a Fake Dial?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts