The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the helpful comments (as usual) in this thread: http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/34197-solutions-keeping-kinetic-watches-charged.html
I bought a Philips Imageo - the rechargeable candle thing - to try charging my Seiko kinetics. Sure enough it works, although it takes a while. I took it apart to see what would be the best position for charging and thought others might be interested

As you can see, the wire coils are wrapped around each candle holder towards the top of the base, so the rotational direction of the watch shouldn't matter.

Most (all?) kinetic and AGS watches that I've seen have their charging coil mounted pointing north-to-south around the 9 o'clock area in which case sitting them upright in the candle holder should be most efficient, as in the photo below. Any electronics experts - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

(and while I'm here, brownie points to anyone who gets all three model numbers!)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On second thoughts, maybe leaning them back is better, like below. The coil in the watch is a bit closer to the height of the Imageo coil, but the lateral distance is a bit greater.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Aww, two of the "Masters" and an auto-relay. Couldn't care less for the auto-relay, but I love the other two ;)

Still need the Scubamaster to complete my 5M45 "Master" trio of Land-, Flight-, and Scubamaster...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, but the Auto-Relay was a present from my father-in-law - my first Seiko - so has personal value.

I'm like you in needing one more of the "Master" trio. I passed up on a Landmaster a few weeks ago and am regretting it. Oh well, the fun is in the chase!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks to the OP for being so thoughtful. Anybody knows what's the position of the coil in the watch vs the dial? I agree that if the coil is wound vertically vs the dial, the way to maximize induction (magnetic flux) in the watch coil would be to lay the watch flat in the charger.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Thanks to the OP for being so thoughtful. Anybody knows what's the position of the coil in the watch vs the dial? I agree that if the coil is wound vertically vs the dial, the way to maximize induction (magnetic flux) in the watch coil would be to lay the watch flat in the charger.
Not really, the watch would need to be upright in the charger- so that the two coils are brought parallel, think of two tubes side by side. For instance - the 5M22 charging coil is at the red arrow, so for best inductive coupling, the crown would be at 3 o'clock and lugs at 12 upright (as per the second picture, in the first post.)

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not really, the watch would need to be upright in the charger- so that the two coils are brought parallel, think of two tubes side by side. For instance - the 5M22 charging coil is at the red arrow, so for best inductive coupling, the crown would be at 3 o'clock and lugs at 12 upright (as per the second picture, in the first post.)
If the charging coil is perpendicular to the dial, I agree. Both coils' axes should be parallel to maximize induction.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
If the charging coil is perpendicular to the dial, I agree. Both coils' axes should be parallel to maximize induction.
"If the charging coil is perpendicular to the dial, I agree" No, the charging coil's orientation is, by convention, defined by it's pole's orientation, not the orientation of an individual conductor loop, within the coil. The charging coil is parallel to the dial, not perpendicular - or it would stick out of the case. " Both coils' axes should be parallel to maximize induction" Yerp.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The ting about these chargers is that it takes really long to charge the watch. I had a lot of reactions saying "this doesn't work" when I advertised the Philips charger on my german watch forum - it's just slow and you need to leave your watches one or two nights and days in there...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ohh... so that's how it works... ! I remember looking at these things once and I actually expected a candle somewhere...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts