The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of screw-back case openers do you find easiest to use. I'm trying to decide on some tools and find myself wondering what opener is easiest for the beginner. I'm mostly referring to the two point and three point openers that have handles, and the compact two point openers without handles. I also see rubber balls and suction cup devices too (and it's not even fetish night)! Any advice from the experienced crowd?

Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've not tried the squishy ball type, but I tried a two prong and three prong, with limited success. They both opened the cases eventually, but the risk of slipping and marking the case was high.

I decided to spend some cash and get a proper, press type, opener. A solid piece of kit with adjustable holders to fit any size case, and interchangeable jaws that lock firmly in place. No danger of slipping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No experience with the rubber balls..

Cost-wise the two-point with handle is the best.

The three prong is kinda fiddly. stay away from the two prong without the handle. This only makes sense if you're going to a flea market.

Whatever tool you get, make sure you get a case holder and preferably screw it down to you worktable. This gives you two hands to manage the case-opener.

Anil

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
For the most part i use the rubber balls as i hate scratches on the back if i can avoid them but they won't open the really stubborn ones and jeeeeeeeeeeze is there some stubborn ones !!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your experienced advice, much appreciated.

Still thinking about what to purchase and getting impatient. I was looking around the house for a ball that might impart enough friction to open my new panda when I thought of a tape ball. I just bunched up about 1.5 meters of duct tape with the adhesive coating to the outside. Pressed firmly, twisted quite hard, and the bloody case opened! :-\ I'm not sure how much torque is required to properly close the watch up, I don't intend it to pass water resistance testing.

Is there a rule of thumb you guys use when tightening, such as 1/4 turn after gasket seats, etc?

Curt

·
Registered
845 Posts
Good work with the tape ball. I find it very hard to scratch a case back with a ball of tape. As far as how tight to make the case when you put it back on, I close it finger tight by hand, and then just snug it up a bit with my case wrench. I would guess less than an eighth of a turn.

·
Registered
659 Posts
curtisjf said:
Thanks guys for your experienced advice, much appreciated.

Still thinking about what to purchase and getting impatient. I was looking around the house for a ball that might impart enough friction to open my new panda when I thought of a tape ball. I just bunched up about 1.5 meters of duct tape with the adhesive coating to the outside. Pressed firmly, twisted quite hard, and the bloody case opened! :-\ I'm not sure how much torque is required to properly close the watch up, I don't intend it to pass water resistance testing.

Is there a rule of thumb you guys use when tightening, such as 1/4 turn after gasket seats, etc?

Curt
Just tried the duct tape ball method on my four month old Sumo last night and it worked great. I had tried this before, with Gorilla Tape, but could never get it open. I guess the plain old duct tape must have had more grip. This was my first time ever opening an automatic, but I wanted to see if I could do better than the -10 seconds per day that my Sumo was getting. After the first try, the watch gained +2 seconds in just one hour. WOOPS! So I tried again and so far it's at -1 second after 13.5 hours (lost one second overnight and has been staying the same on the wrist) which is much better than the almost -.5 seconds per hour it was getting.

thanks!

Ted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts