The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help someone please before my brain melts, the lift angle for the Seiko 6220 must be around somewhere but I am buggered if I can't find it:38:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Mike, I don't have a direct answer, but you can sort this out for yourself. Put a mark (I use a fine point permanent marker) on the balance in a spot 180 degrees from another point where you can view the balance. Put just enough power on the movement so that the balance is swinging 180 degrees (you'll see two marks converge and then "stop" opposite from your initial mark). Check the indicated amplitude. If it is 180, then your lift angle is correct. If not, then adjust lift angle until it reads 180.

Although a lot of impetus is put on amplitude and it is an important evaluation parameter, in many cases the "relative" value is as useful as an "absolute" value (which may be somewhat elusive, depending upon the hs properties).

Regards, BG

·
Registered
640 Posts
Although a lot of impetus is put on amplitude and it is an important evaluation parameter, in many cases the "relative" value is as useful as an "absolute" value (which may be somewhat elusive, depending upon the hs properties).

Regards, BG
It's also worth bearing in mind that, until the widespread availability of digital timing kit over the past 20 years or so, even a lot of professionals had no way to measure / judge amplitude apart from the eyeball, Mk1, and experience.

Yet they managed to service and repair watches perfectly well without ;)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's also worth bearing in mind that, until the widespread availability of digital timing kit over the past 20 years or so, even a lot of professionals had no way to measure / judge amplitude apart from the eyeball, Mk1, and experience.

Yet they managed to service and repair watches perfectly well without ;)
Thank you Benchy and Joe for your input.

The above is what I was thinking and in the end I ignored inputting the correct lift angle. Before getting the TG I used to judge amplitude by eye and it is pretty obvious if the movements amplitude is good or bad. But the beauty of the TG is the speed you can set a movement up and see the effects of position and adjustments in real time. It does speed the process up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts