The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am disassembling my first watch and I have come to an impasse at the snap ring that holds down the day star disk. The watch is a King Seiko VANAC 5256-6000. I have not been able to find much specific information on disassembly of this movement, and as such I have been looking at information online for the related 5206 movement, and general seiko information.

It appears that on many Seikos there is an indentation made to accept a screwdriver, that is located on the underside of the snap ring at 90 degrees from the snap ring opening. There are good photos of this on clockmaker dot com, but I do not have enough posts yet to be allowed to include a link.

I am unsure how much force to use, as I don't have any experience and I do not want to break the watch. Also, I cannot see any indentation on snap ring, even with magnification.

I have a very small screwdriver, but it is too big to fit under the ring. I have been able to get the tip of a razor blade under the ring, but I don't like the feel of prying under there.

Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Aloha ,

I just place a very thing piece of .....
Clear Plastic I make like the ...... Burgeon Hand Removal Plastic Tool .....that they sell.
I make my own with .... Thin Clear Plastic then Punch a hole in it and place it over but
little larger the the ...C-clip.

Then place the ..... Point of a .... Razor Knife and Lift slowly.

You might want to place the .... Movement into a good size Zip Lock Bag to
contain .... Flying Parts if any.
NOTE :
Be sure to not .... Gouge the Day Wheel while doing this.
Just .... Enter the C-clip Edge and Slowly Lift it.
Once you get the feel of it then it will be quite easy to do again and again.
Louis

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Aloha ,

I just place a very thing piece of .....
Clear Plastic I make like the ...... Burgeon Hand Removal Plastic Tool that they sell.
I make my own with .... Thin Clear Plastic then Punch a hole in it and place it over but
little larger the the ...C-clip.

Then place the ..... Point of a .... Razor Knife and Lift slowly.
You might want to place the .... Movement into a good size Zip Lock Bag to contain
.... Flying Parts if any.
NOTE:
Be sure to not .... Gouge the Day Wheel while doing this.
Just .... Enter the C-clip Edge and Slowly Lift it.
Louis

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hello! I am disassembling my first watch and I have come to an impasse at the snap ring that holds down the day star disk. The watch is a King Seiko VANAC 5256-6000. I have not been able to find much specific information on disassembly of this movement, and as such I have been looking at information online for the related 5206 movement, and general seiko information.

It appears that on many Seikos there is an indentation made to accept a screwdriver, that is located on the underside of the snap ring at 90 degrees from the snap ring opening. There are good photos of this on clockmaker dot com, but I do not have enough posts yet to be allowed to include a link.

I am unsure how much force to use, as I don't have any experience and I do not want to break the watch. Also, I cannot see any indentation on snap ring, even with magnification.

I have a very small screwdriver, but it is too big to fit under the ring. I have been able to get the tip of a razor blade under the ring, but I don't like the feel of prying under there.

Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated!
I have not worked on this particular movement but my guess it is similar to other snap rings on Seiko watches. For this you want to use the smallest screw driver as possible. I recommend an Ø0.60.

the snap normally has a very small lip that is just big enough that the tip of your small screwdriver will just fit under it. You place the tip under the lip and very slowly twist the screwdriver left and right. Only twist it a tiny bit at a time. Start on one side of the ring and get it to lift very slightly. Then move to the other side of the snap and do the same thing again until it begins to lift. Then remove the snap with some tweezers.

If you don't have a Ø0.60 screwdriver you will find this quite difficult.

Also you have to note which side of the snap the lip is on and you have to reinstall it the same way. If you install it upside down the day change may not work correctly.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Craftsman
1,480 Posts
I have a set of horatec hand levers putting one on each side that work very well on these snap rings but as others have alluded to, a small screw driver will also work. I like to put a small piece or clear plastic cut from a sandwich bag or something similar over the cannon pinion to offer protection for the day wheel as you gently pry the snap ring up out of its groove. Whatever you do when you re-install that snap ring make doubly sure you put the curved side down. If you do not, it will be nearly impossible to remove that ring the next time you service the watch. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I place a 0.8mm driver in the gap of the snap and twist slightly. At that point it rides up the hour wheel and can be gently removed.

That is the way to do it, spraging a small screwdriver into the gap expands the 'c' clip and allows it to be wiggled up the hour wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot! That is all very helpful. I did order a .60 screwdriver a few days back, and expect to receive it today. I will make another attempt and report back.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Remember when you put it back, there's a top and bottom to that clip. One side has the edges rounded. The rounded edges go to the bottom so the next time a screwdriver can get under it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts