The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Special Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While watching our favorite auction house I saw this listing pop up with a buy-it-now or Best offer. Decided to make an offer. I then went back to the photos to take another closer look while waiting for a response from the seller on my offer. Watch looked all original with no replaced parts, good lume with no black funk, hands looked original with a bright orange/red seconds dot, and came on the original unbroken waffle strap. The only drawbacks that I could see are some nasty tool marks to the caseback and case. As I waited other offers starting coming in and I went back and pulled the trigger on the Buy-It-Now price. I thought no need to haggle and lose this one. Attached are seller photos which I thought were pretty good and watch has already shipped - should be here in a few days.

A couple of questions for the 6105 experts - Most of the original hands I have seen the second hand dot has faded considerably but this one the color looks still bright. Could they be replacement hands or perhaps the watch has spent most of its life out of the sun.

The waffle strap looks to be original and in decent nick with no breaks or tears. The Seiko buckle is only marked Seiko with no Stainless Steel markings. Does the Seiko buckle look to be the original buckle for the Waffle strap

I am looking forward to receiving the watch and first up will be a new crystal and see how the movement is running before sending it off for service.

Thanks for looking

Seller photos

Attachments

·
Special Member
4,777 Posts
Looks to be all original and in very good condition aesthetically. Great find, and may you enjoy it in good health.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Agreed

Looks gorgeous. As to the second hand's red dot, its brightness doesn't necessarily mean its a replacement. My two all-original (except crystals and straps) 6105-811Xs say hi.

I can't say I've had the pleasure of holding an original Waffle in the flesh - the two above are both WJean repros, so I can't weigh in on the buckle. I know UnclePenn has and I'm sure other folks here too. However, your strap has that characteristic stiffened look to it, so I'd be surprised if the buckle wasn't original.

·
Special Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely stunning pair of 6105's and Thanks for sharing a photo of an original Bright Red Second Hand Dot.

·
Special Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks really good and I love to see the "flat" gasket in the back :)
Hi John,

I'm not sure if I understand the significance of a "flat" gasket. Is this the result of compression of the rubber over time? Does the larger surface area keep out water intrusion better?

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Hi John,

I'm not sure if I understand the significance of a "flat" gasket. Is this the result of compression of the rubber over time? Does the larger surface area keep out water intrusion better?
Kyle,

when i see a "flat" gasket in there I know nobody has been inside for quite some time so a good chance it hasent been messed with :) But a flat gasket is not good for the watch in general and I like all mine to have new gaskets, most times if i open mine i will renew the gasket even if it's not that old, costs pennies so.................

Many vintage watches have died for the lack of a gasket, makes me cry :)

·
Special Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi John,

Thanks for the excellent explanation. That makes a lot of sense. A flat caseback is both good and bad. Good in that it might indicate original or older gasket and therefore the movement might not have been messed with in the past. Bad in that the compression of the older gasket makes for an inferior seal and needs to be replaced. I will make sure to replace the gasket. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great decision and it's a beauty.

Nice having the original strap, however, I'd set it aside and buy a Jean waffle, a NATO strap, etc to wear. The old waffle straps do have a tendency to break... be careful.

·
Special Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great decision and it's a beauty.

Nice having the original strap, however, I'd set it aside and buy a Jean waffle, a NATO strap, etc to wear. The old waffle straps do have a tendency to break... be careful.

Thanks for the strap advice. Sounds like the smart and safe thing to do is buy a Will Jean Reproduction Waffle and set aside the original waffle. I just emailed wjean28 about the reproduction waffle strap and I am hoping to order one with all the Seiko markings.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well you have found a amazing watch...love it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts