The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I was at school until '83 and I'd never even heard of Seiko. My then girlfriend, later fiancee ( it didn't work out :undecided: or maybe :) as I'm happily married now) bought me a Casio in '85 while I was at college (that didn't work out either :rolleyes:).

It was similar to this:

Of course, now that now that I'm a bit of a WIS I am absolutely kicking myself that I threw it and the gold version (that I bought myself) out when the batteries went flat :38:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice one, JohnWN

The 6619 is a great movement, with its ball-bearings-supported rotor. I also have a 6619 (champagne dial) from 1965 with a missing outer ring but I like the way it looks like that. As for myself in college, I went in the 1990's and just wore a plastic Timex Iron Man.:(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Mr Levity

Those early analog-digitals were the coolest. In school from the late 70's till 1983? Those years were the pinnacle of digital watch design (and college themed movies like Animal House.) Thanks for your story!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Was in college in the 1960's and wore this non Japanese watch from 1968 through to 1973:- (still got this and had it restored to it's former glory, as shown in the pic below, earlier this year)

When I bought this Seiko 7019-5000 (which I also still have):-

Then in 1977 I bought one of these iconic solar quartz analogue Citizen Crystron watches:-

Sadly I smashed the crystal on this some time in the 1980's and all recent attempts to resurrect it failed but I managed to buy an identical replacement this year.:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: John_D

Wow, thanks for your post. I've never seen a Citizen like that one before. Does your Jaquet-Droz chronograph have a Landeron 248 movement? I ask that because I have a Pierce with the same case (and light silver dial) with that movement.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Wow, thanks for your post. I've never seen a Citizen like that one before. Does your Jaquet-Droz chronograph have a Landeron 248 movement? I ask that because I have a Pierce with the same case (and light silver dial) with that movement.
Reference the Jaquet Droz chrono (bought for me by my first wife as a 21st birthday present, haven't seen the wife for over 40 years, but still got the watch ;) ), I thought it was a Landeron 248 movement, but turns out it is a Landeron 149.
As for the Citizen watch it holds the record of being the World's first solar powered analogue watch :cool: http://www.crazywatches.pl/citizen-crystron-8620-solar-quartz-1976 .Citizen bought out a tribute watch in 2009, which I'd dearly love to have, but sadly I can only get hold of the rose gold versions, which doesn't appeal at all. :( http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/iget/item/10014328/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en
This is the one I want:- http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/iget/item/10014326/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I had a brand new 6139..........

·
Registered
88 Posts
Received a 0634 5019 for high school graduation and wore that off to college. Two years later started working part time in a jewelry store and at some point added a Seiko dress watch that was very thin and looked a bit like a Movado. Two years after that bought a Rolex with a hefty discount through a program Rolex had for managers and college graduation money.
That 0634 5019 was a pretty big deal at the time. Listed for $325 in 1976 which is about $1365 today. Was featured in an article in "Car & Driver" magazine on watches for car guys where they mentioned that famed Indycar legend George Bignotti had one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 0634 5019 was the first ever digital chronograph by any company. A Seiko first! I have one with the partitioned dial (the information on the display separated by a dark multi-window frame-insert) which may be a variant not well known to collectors. There was a similar watch with a partitioned dial (same calibre) so mine could be a transplant. You can see a picture of it in my recent post on the "Must-have Seikos" thread.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Got this when I graduated from high school in 84. Wore it my first year of college until it fogged. Still have it today and recently had it serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Aloha,
Well in those years I used only ..." The Sun " to tell time...hahaha ".
It rose and I rose before it, then it set and I was still up for a long while.
Being a ..... Biker / Working Guy, I never needed a watch I just lived it
out... :57: . I owned them but never used them to keep track of time.
Louis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts