The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked-up a 6139-6012 on a lark and now questioning my purchase. All appears to be original but is currently not working. When I push the top button the second hand starts to move then stops and when I push the bottom button it goes back to zero. The quickset day and date work, hands set and the day/date changes when hands are turned past 12pm. The small 30 min counter does not move. Opened the back expecting the worst but it appears spotless and there are no service marks in the back.

What have I gotten myself into? Talked to my watch guy about getting one a while back and he said that he sometimes will not service them because of wear. Any way to tell how worn it is before I take it to the shop?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'd say you have a reasonable candidate for service. Most of the extra functions - date change, chrono start and reset, are working. How long before the seconds hand stops? If it's not running for a full minute then the minute counter won't advance.

I don't think you can determine any more until it's disassembled by your watch guy. Ask him what the service is likely to cost assuming no parts are necessary before you give the go ahead.

If parts turn out to be needed there are plenty if donor movements available on eBay.

Are you able to upload some photos. Personally, I don't like to sink too much money into them unless the dial and hands are in good condition.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, will try to get some pictures posted. Dial and hands look good with just a couple faint gray spots on some of the lume. Could use a new crystal, seals and an extra link for the bracelet wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I had a 6139- that 'ran' but in truth required an overhaul and I couldn't see spending $150 to fix it on top of the $150 I spent to buy it and the $40 I spent on new pushers and spring and seals and all the rest so I flipped it for a loss (I'm an honest seller and said it had issues, not like the ebum I bought I from) and called it a day.

Good luck !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I don't have that much in it and it has an original band that actually fits. Anyone know how many removable links bands came with? I will hopefully get into the shop this weekend to see what the cost would be.

Both hands are red, sorry about the bad pic.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
That looks to be in great condition and I think the black dial is the best of the 6012s. Definitely a worthy candidate for service.

My gold dial says hi.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411182509.079577.jpg

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
This is my 6139-6012 with it's original bracelet.

On this watch it appears as if there are 4 removable links.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Got the same braclet, mine has 3 removable links on each side.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Talked to my watch guy about getting one a while back and he said that he sometimes will not service them because of wear. Any way to tell how worn it is before I take it to the shop?
There are plenty of watch-smiths out there that will work on these. Here is mine before I had it restored.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts