The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since my interest for vintage dive watches started, I have yearned for Jessica Alba an Omega mesh. We all know them, but not many of us pluck up the courage to take 300 dollars out of the housekeeping jar to be the proud owner of one. One of the great mysteries of WISdom for me (ranking up there with missing bracelet pin collars and that one screw left over from my last repair) is why no aftermarket mesh with open mesh end links has ever been offered! Webpage after webpage of cyberdrool every time someone posts a diver on an Omega mesh must surely speak volumes about the potential market!

Well, wait no more, they're here - and wjean (http://myworld.ebay.com/wjean28/) and stella (tungchoywatches) have them! I just got one in the post, and I quote: "And it came to pass I beheld them, and they were good":

After fitting the mesh to the Tuna, I thought I would give it a try on the Nighthawk. Now, it was amazing on the Tuna, however the effect of the mesh on the Nighthawk is nothing short of stunning! Somehow the mesh transports the Nighthawk to a watch which you could wear at work, on the beach and still be suitable for formal evening wear. The mesh is amazingly versatile, and seems ideally suited to a large, sporty watch.

Out of the box the bracelet is lighter than I had expected. The mesh is thick and yet very flexible, and the clasp feels sufficiently solid. I have often been disappointed by clasps on after-market bracelets, but the clasps here are appropriate. Fitting is very easy, and the effect of the pin through the links is visually appealing. Note that these bracelets will not accept fat spring bars for divers, but wjean does offer special regular width bars with thicker pins for divers.

The finish on the strap I received is brushed. Each row of links appears to be a spiral or coil of wire, so there is a "free" end at each end of each coil. These free ends have been filed (for want of a better word) and pushed in to make a flush ending - I wondered if they would catch on clothing or hair but I have had no problem in this respect. The links have also been filed or brushed on top to make a flat surface which is very pleasing - a nice detail. There is a good amount of space between the links, and I have noticed that my arm is dry under the bracelet, even though it is humid, while the Monster on my other arm is sticking to a thin layer of sweat. The mesh is definitely a cooler bracelet and will be a sure winner this summer!

The fit is very comfortable. Initially I experienced a few "hair-pullings" but I would definitely not classify these bracelets as hair pullers. In fact, since the first hour of wear I haven't experienced a pulled hair.

Just after I fitted the bracelet to my Nighthawk, a friend of mine (who also has a Nighthawk) dropped by and immediately noticed the new configuration. His eyes widened and he said "That I HAVE to have, would you order me one!". I absolutely recommend these mesh bracelets - get one, you wont be disappointed. I expect these bracelets will be a major posting topic this summer.

·
Administrator
33,229 Posts
Thanks for that Harry i was wondering what they were like in the flesh so to speak, looks real good.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TheTigerUK said:
Thanks for that Harry i was wondering what they were like in the flesh so to speak, looks real good.

I always yearned for the Omega mesh (and would have spent the 300 bucks if it weren't for the OMEGA label on the clasp), so I bought a few meshes with the endbar tubes, but they just haven't worked for me, they where too refined in their mesh and that didn't fit with what I perceived to be a tool watch bracelet. The endbar tubes didn't do it for me either.

The mesh here is, ahem, more "masculine", the endlinks with the springbars through them so elegantly simple - just perfect!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JohnN said:
That is a GREAT combination, Harry!

Yeah, in fact the Nighthawk/mesh combo has been the first watch to push my Tuna off my wrist in 6 months, that's how good it is!

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,745 Posts
Thanks for this, Harry. I think I'll get one for my Havana Nighthawk...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Man! Thanks for the great review and info. I ditched the stock bracelet on my nighthawk as soon as I got the watch (its ok, but not quite right for me). It's been sitting on a plonky calico jack zulu ever since. I might need one of these to try out....on a bunch of watches.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That does look awesome, Harry - especially in that first pic. I've had my eye on those since they first appeared. Maybe if I can sneak some funds past the "chairman of the board" here. :)

As far as what you're really yearning for, I'm happy to be of assistance:

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Harry, that shark mesh is doing things to me right now, it's just incredible! :-\

Really transforms the watch to another level completely! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Very nice Harry. I've always thought the mesh looks great on most divers, especially the classics.
Was wondering? How is the mesh adjusted? I'm guessing those are link type sections that come off like links. ??
Can you show or explain? I've been pondering a mesh for 22mm a while now. Maybe this is the one. ;)

Thanks. Dave.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've a Shark coming in from Will for my 6309. They look awesome.

I also have the Omega mesh on my Omega f300 diver so it will be a good comparison for quality and build.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sharkfinDave said:
Very nice Harry. I've always thought the mesh looks great on most divers, especially the classics.
Was wondering? How is the mesh adjusted? I'm guessing those are link type sections that come off like links. ??
Can you show or explain? I've been pondering a mesh for 22mm a while now. Maybe this is the one. ;)

Thanks. Dave.

There are four removable link sections which can easily be removed using a screwdriver. I have a slightly less than medium size wrist, and I removed three of the extra links.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
taxking1 said:
I've a Shark coming in from Will for my 6309. They look awesome.

I also have the Omega mesh on my Omega f300 diver so it will be a good comparison for quality and build.

It would be great if you would give us your impressions of the differences / similarities between the two!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TakesALickin said:
As far as what you're really yearning for, I'm happy to be of assistance:

Wow...no, make that WOW!

O:)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MolleS said:
Thanks for that Harry, 3 ordered (19mm for the 6105-8000 mod, 22mm PVD for the Tsunami and a22mm for the SBBN015).

:D

Hej, Stefan - looking forward to your usual great shots of the mesh on these great watches!

(BTW I think your avatar would probably win in a Choose-the-best-avatar forum competition)

·
Registered
94 Posts
SOLD.

I bought a 19mm for a swiss watch, but I will have to order one for my nighthawk and 6309.

Thanks for the review, pictures and heads up.

PS. Molle's avatar is the best.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts