The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Does anyone know the situation regards import duty on something that has been traded as against bought?

I have recently traded a watch - which is enroute from USA. And as appears to be the norm these days , i am getting hit with import duty (great - as if we don't pay enough tax already).

But - despite searching - i don't know if should be paying it on something in which no money has changed hands.

Does anyone know anything?

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well i ship often to UK and Europe and no one has mentioned that to me...sounds like maybe something new..can i ask this..what was the declared value?...i see here in USA shippers are being more fussy with costs to us with more expensive watches

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was declared (i think) around $67. So there will be duty plus the standing charges. Takes the edge off things.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,254 Posts
In my experience import duty is very little if anything, not much to worry about. The main thing is VAT at 20%. As often as not I get lucky and my purchases get through without any vat to be paid.

Allow in your mind to pay the VAT and if it arrives without them asking for the VAT then it's a bonus.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'll bet there's no such thing as 'traded'. As far as the taxman is concerned you bought a watch, the fact that you paid for it with another watch is irrelevant.

·
Administrator
32,592 Posts
If you get hit Barry it can add about 30% in total from what i've seen.

It is all to do with declared value :)

Fortunately as i never pay more than $5 for a watch I don't have to pay the tax man :) :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have send my share of items besides watches to the UK. I always mark the item as a gift for one. Then the second part is where you take you chances. Keep the declared value of the item under $20 bucks if you know what I mean. The drawback is if the package grows legs your compensation will be $20 bucks. It's your choice. So far it has worked out good for me over the past 10 years or so. Still you are rolling the dice.

Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts