The Watch Site banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a watch from a Japanese supplier but I can't determine if there is an import fee added when it is delivered to the United States. Does anyone have any experience that would help me out. I don't want to get caught up in a hassel waiting for the import to go through US Customs.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
pennerk said:
I'm considering buying a watch from a Japanese supplier but I can't determine if there is an import fee added when it is delivered to the United States. Does anyone have any experience that would help me out. I don't want to get caught up in a hassel waiting for the import to go through US Customs.
Be sure the seller is sending the watch via Japan Post EMS. Otherwise, you'll be hit with customs fee guaranteed. When the package is sent EMS, USPS in the United States will hand deliver it to you. There is a $400 per day declared value exception for parcels sent in the USPS mail delivery system. The same exception does not apply to independent courier carriers like FeDex and UPS. Many people have been caught off guard when their packages are delivered FeDex/UPS/DHL and then presented with a customs fee bill by the driver as condition for release.

Higuchi sends its packages to the United States via Japan Post EMS. I have yet to get hit with a customs fee on any of the 4 watches I have ordered from him. Two of the watches had declared values of over $500.

Be aware that Chino is using FeDex and not informing their customers before hand! Again if your package is shipped with an independent courier you will be levied customs fees upon delivery.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
What he said.

Go with EMS. No fee/tax. Will still go through customs, but no tax will be applied. If you look on the customs web site, I think there is a minimum value of $400 before taxes will be applied, but for some reason this never seems to be the case when importing through EMS. EMS will hand off to USPS after customs.

FedEx and UPS will always tax you and not at receipt. You will get a bill later. You will be paying not only import tax, but also a brokerage fee to the shipping company. MAybe you save a day in customs this way, but in my experience stuff gets to me fast from Japan. Usually less than 1 week which is much faster than orders from amazon that come from Kentucky.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts