1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seiko Facet.jpg

Seiko Facet 3.JPG

Seiko Facet 2.jpg

Hi All , I have searched this forum and have seen case to crystal references , have tried Google and Bing search engines , Ebay , and Watch part suppliers but have not gained any ground on finding the right faceted chrystal for this watch . I always see this type of crystal on 70's Seikos so would think that replacements are out there .
I have tried not to burden the members with this often asked question for help, so now I'll swallow my pride and ask for any help on this .
On the case back numbers 7009-8109 ,....is the -8109 the case #?

Any who , ..I do appreciate any help in learning how to reference and order a crystal for my Seikos.........Thanks , Louis

·
Administrator
30,700 Posts
According to Jules Borel the crystal is a......

WATCH MATERIAL INTERCHANGE LIST
310T51ACSG (discontinued)
CRYSTAL-WHITE
CRY-3023
Price Each $ 7.90
SEK CS#7009-8100 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7009-8109 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7009-8170 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7009-8190 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7009-8230 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7009-8260 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7009-8300 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7009-8520 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7009-8890 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE
SEK CS#7025-8030 SEIKO CASE REFERENCE

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow John , That was fast ... Do i look up Jules Borel on the internet to order ?

How do I get a reference like the one you used ?? Did you just put in the watch #'s on there website or ??
Thank You very much .....Louis

·
Researcher
5,027 Posts
And don't forget to use SEK CS# before the 7009-8109 !!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You 7s26b and Tiger .. Yup, I've heard that LongBike is also a "Louis" and lives in Hawaii . He is very popular with a few members as they have PM'ed me to see if we were one and the same .
Once Again , Mahalo for the help with the crystal . Have a good weekend .... Louis

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7s26b

And don't forget to use SEK CS# before the 7009-8109 !!

I have also had a few Land Rovers powered by "LUCAS" , "the King of Darkness "

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Can't you just polish the crystal? You'd be surprised how well they can come out even if they look totally gone. You can use a dremel and a polishing kit for about $30 off ebay and make the crystal as good as new again.... nearly :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't you just polish the crystal? You'd be surprised how well they can come out even if they look totally gone. You can use a dremel and a polishing kit for about $30 off ebay and make the crystal as good as new again.... nearly :)
You're right....I was originally going to do that but I am going to pop out the crystal to polish it and figured I would try to order a replacement and put it in , polish the one I have now and use it on another watch I am thinking about getting that has a really chipped crystal . I have about 3 Seikos with the facets so I need the practice popping and polishing .

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You're right....I was originally going to do that but I am going to pop out the crystal to polish it and figured I would try to order a replacement and put it in , polish the one I have now and use it on another watch I am thinking about getting that has a really chipped crystal . I have about 3 Seikos with the facets so I need the practice popping and polishing .
Don't rush, hold it carefully but do it where if it drops it wont hit a hard surface and I use about 3 grades of wet and dry paper before using the pastes. I use 400/600/1200/2500 in that order and a nice dab of water to stop the crystal overheating. I also use a old car painters trick (one of my previous jobs) and put a little bit of dish washing up liquid in the water to stop the wet & dry and paper clogging up. Thickman808 done a real good write up about crystal polishing on here. Just follow that and everything with come up smelling of roses. This silver Pogue below had a very scratched crystal but now I can just make out two small marks which only a super fussy git like me would spot.

Toms guide on crystal polishing: http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/63914-crystal-polishing-my-way.html

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice....I do appreciate it . I had already read Thickman808's write up and was going to refer to it . My Dad was an automobile painter for Chevrolet for many years and I wet sanded quite a few cars on Saturdays but I didn't know about the dish washing liquid trick . Earlier when Tiger and 7s26b helped me ID the crystal I am looking for I got on the Jules Borel website to order it but I have a feeling that my search is going to continue . At least now I know what I'm looking for. I found ONE on the Bay but the asking price is $24 plus shipping...Yikes !!
It looks like I better get my sand paper ready ....I have a kit to do my car headlights so I will use that also.

·
Administrator
30,700 Posts
Thanks for the advice....I do appreciate it . I had already read Thickman808's write up and was going to refer to it . My Dad was an automobile painter for Chevrolet for many years and I wet sanded quite a few cars on Saturdays but I didn't know about the dish washing liquid trick . Earlier when Tiger and 7s26b helped me ID the crystal I am looking for I got on the Jules Borel website to order it but I have a feeling that my search is going to continue . At least now I know what I'm looking for. I found ONE on the Bay but the asking price is $24 plus shipping...Yikes !!
It looks like I better get my sand paper ready ....I have a kit to do my car headlights so I will use that also.
Bargain !! :yahoo:

The most i have paid for a crystal is $75.

For me there are four main points when restoring any watch.

1. Dial
  2. Hands
  3. Crystal
  4. Insert(If one required).

I think polishing is a great save especially for acrylics but I have had a few glass ones that have been polished and even though great compared to a scratched up example I find that you can tell they have been polished when looked at from different angles but if no OEM available then..........great :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK Tiger , you talked me into it....right now !

eccles....the facets are on the outside . And you and cannop are surely correct , if i sanded it I would..."kiss goodbye to the sharp angles."

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
With regards to polishing, isn't the 310T51ACSG a faceted crystal? I've yet to see one of those polished successfully. If you take a dremel and wet and dry to it you can kiss goodbye to the sharp angles.
Yeah I'd agree with this. I'm not a watch repair guy 'yet' but I do know sanding and polishing technicques (ex Rolls Royce classic resto panel & paint guy) but to sucessfully re polish a faceted crystal I'd say you could do it with a good sanding block and about 3 years but to do any decent job you'd need a white or green stone system. I follow Thickman808's write up too the T but I also have a 2800rpm electric motor adapted with some polishing spindles (bolt on) and a load of different mops and polish soaps that I do the final polish with on normal crystals. It gives that factory clear finish! Although I have to say the watches I've had off Tom are also as well finished which is impressive! You do not end up with a perfectly flat surface though. It's good enough for a fussy git like me but a NOS crystal is always perfectly flat and looks the dogs dangley bits when installed.

Mr Tiger dude you were not a car salesman once upon a time? I'd once again agree to do a job spot on you would have to follow your steps. I'm not brave enough to remove the dial or hands off my silver Pogue yet and I am certainly not good enough to re lume it although I am practising with a old Pogue dial and Bergeon lume.... I did try that lume you get off ebay that comes with a bonding agent that looks like glue but ITS CRAPOLA! Glows nice in the bottle though and I've used it to freak out folk around the house with glow in the dark hands and stuff :eek:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I've got my bid in for the crystal , but I'll have to wait 6 1/2 days for the auction to end [to bid to the stars probably].....I've got my fingers crossed .

ClockBloke , I 'm going to use a nail emory board to TRY to keep the edges...yeah right///

As for the lume stuff...years ago I decorated my bedroom ceiling with lumenessant paint to make stars and a solar system [not to scale of course]
...kind of a hippy free love thing...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well I've got my bid in for the crystal , but I'll have to wait 6 1/2 days for the auction to end [to bid to the stars probably].....I've got my fingers crossed .

ClockBloke , I 'm going to use a nail emory board to TRY to keep the edges...yeah right///

As for the lume stuff...years ago I decorated my bedroom ceiling with lumenessant paint to make stars and a solar system [not to scale of course]
...kind of a hippy free love thing...
Good luck with the auction! As for the emery board you will have trouble getting the angle. Also Only sweep the sand paper in one direction aka towards the widest part of the facet would be the best attack plan I would think. I'd have it mounted on some blue-tac and the facet your working on at the edge so you can rub the sanding paper in that direction. Also I'd use a good rubbing block inside the paper. That's what I would do anyway but I think you will loose those nice sharp edges when you give it the final polishes :undecided: Good luck on your mission luke! May the force be with you!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After talking to Jules Borel I was led to Crystal # Sternkreuz XAC-FAC311.686 that is in stock , but was told it was not available for me to order online .
Can anyone help me order this...I believe you need an account with them .

Once again this is a replacement for Seiko faceted crystal P/N 310T5ACSG [discontinued]

Thanks , Louis

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
I found ONE on the Bay but the asking price is $24 plus shipping...Yikes !!

$24 plus shipping for a NOS scarce faceted crystal really isn't much in my book.....just saying'. Polishing that crystal, no matter how carefully, will destroy the edges on the facets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts