The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted an aftermarket Oyster strap on a 6309 for a guy (along with other stuff to the watch).
He didn't want me to size it for him.
I sent it to him.
He took it into a very well known watch repair place in the city he lives in to have it sized.
They couldn't undo one of the link screws:eek:

He sent it back to me.
What to do?
It was very tight but moved a little.
I took that size of the strap off, soaked it in lacquer thinners. I tried the old screw it one way a little then back again and with the addition of WD40 got it undone and sized it for him.

Nice to have done what they couldn't:grin:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Another big company that can't be bothered with the small stuff. Great job NZ, you'll have a repeat customer from that one for sure. And the other place won't....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another big company that can't be bothered with the small stuff.
That's not a fair assessment at all from the business side of things.
They didn't sell him the watch or the band and have no means of replacing it if they damage it. They can't scratch it, break it or bugger it up and just hand it back and say "oh, sorry about that".
The person who is struggling with that band is costing the business money every minute he's there and his function is to make the business money.
While he struggled with that one irreplaceable item he could have completed 5-6 tasks that actually made money.
People have very unreasonable expectations of what a business can and can't do.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's not a fair assessment at all from the business side of things.
They didn't sell him the watch or the band and have no means of replacing it if they damage it. They can't scratch it, break it or bugger it up and just hand it back and say "oh, sorry about that".
The person who is struggling with that band is costing the business money every minute he's there and his function is to make the business money.
While he struggled with that one irreplaceable item he could have completed 5-6 tasks that actually made money.
People have very unreasonable expectations of what a business can and can't do.

Nice, I pay NZ a compliment knowing full well the struggle he just went through taking care of another customer with a leaky case, and you take a dump all over it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice, I pay NZ a compliment knowing full well the struggle he just went through taking care of another customer with a leaky case, and you take a dump all over it.
Had (has?) nothing to do with NZ and how is you dumping on some poor retailer got anything to do with paying him a compliment? :confused:
Just trying to make a point that seems to escape some of the "experts" here that you can't expect a business to do the same things that a hobbyist can do. If they buggered up the bracelet that customer would tell everyone he knows to avoid XYZ at all costs so their risk is much higher than any potential renumeration.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had (has?) nothing to do with NZ and how is you dumping on some poor retailer got anything to do with paying him a compliment? :confused:
Just trying to make a point that seems to escape some of the "experts" here that you can't expect a business to do the same things that a hobbyist can do. If they buggered up the bracelet that customer would tell everyone he knows to avoid XYZ at all costs so their risk is much higher than any potential renumeration.

I understand that they're there to 'produce' to get $ but they're a company with several watchmakers. Its bracelet with screws and surely they will have dealt with such issues many times.

The guy was happy to pay them.

I'm a watchmaker but far less experienced than them but am willing to try the unconventional and take some extra time to have a happy customer:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm a watchmaker but far less experienced than them but am willing to try the unconventional and take some extra time to have a happy customer:)
Yes and when I was behind a bench we kept tons of stuff - drawers full of old bands, etc - just so we could piece something back together to help a customer out - and we never charged for stuff like that - even things like a quick hairspring fix were done for free - but society (at least here in the US) is much more litigious than it used to be - so it is rare to find anyone who will go over and above any longer.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes and when I was behind a bench we kept tons of stuff - drawers full of old bands, etc - just so we could piece something back together to help a customer out - and we never charged for stuff like that - even things like a quick hairspring fix were done for free - but society (at least here in the US) is much more litigious than it used to be - so it is rare to find anyone who will go over and above any longer.

Good on you guys for doing that.
When I worked for Citizen NZ we had a box of wrecked straps to do the same thing. They through them out when the parts were taken over by Aussie (idiots:mad:).

"it is rare to find anyone who will go over and above any longer."
Basically the same here:undecided:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Having had issues with d-link bracelets in the past (both genuine Rolex and aftermarket), we've made it a habit to check the screws (that they will loosen and that they are torqued correctly) with COA as well as when replacing. Also, when replacing a bracelet or strap...if the watch arrives with the old bracelet (and it fits the customer), we endeavor to adjust the replacement to the same length, so that upon receipt the customer simply puts it on their wrist and smiles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts