The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I need to get your advice please.

similar to another thread I have just read through, very similar except I have an option.

I just bought what was described here as an "ebay watch", a 6309-7040 from an overseas refurbisher.

my watch has replacement dial, hands, and bezel insert.

not ever seeing a really good example of a 6309 that was unmolested I'm very happy with this one..
it looks great to me except the second hand looks a little jagged down the edges compared to the seconds hand on my A35.

I generally like to keep things as original as possible, but if I buy them new I tend to keep them as nice as time and wear allows.

one of the main reasons I like my Seikos is the LUME, and this aftermarket dial has none. similar to another thread yet?

all that background is leading me to this/these questions..

having the original dial that the markers are brownish and a scratch or two during disassembly but not the hands do I ?

1. add the old looking dial back to make it original, but having new looking replacement hands?

2.have the original dial re-lumed?

3. have the aftermarket dial and hands re-lumed and keep the original and hope to find hands to go with it?

any other combination of options I didn't think of?

I'll take pics later today of the watch and of the original dial, that may help too.

thanks, and good to be here.. ;D

diver88

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome! I'd go for option #3. I believe those original dials are available, but hard to find, and pricey if you do find them. They're old enough at this point that even if you find one in good shape, it's not likely to have much glow left. There are a few mod shops that will relume your aftermarket dial for you. The backlog is usually around two months. Try these two:

http://www.everestwatchworks.com/index.html

http://internationalwatchworks.com/

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi diver 88,

We all are new to this forum :-[ Never had a thread count on the old SCWF forum.

Congrats on the 6309, they are very cool huh? Certainly a classic and one of the most comfortable wearing divers ever made IMO.

You could go with option #3 or get a new dial by Noah. Also you can just buy a better 6309 and keep the first as a beater. That's what I did a few years ago in a 6309 buying frenzy.

Also while the guys listed above are among the best they are also the most busy with large backlogs. What you do is send them an email tell them what you want to do and they will tell you the wait time.
There are also a few other great watch restorers such as Ken Setser, Bob Thayer, Duarte. Search them out and check their availability.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts