The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a vintage automatic Seiko chronograph for some time now and really fancied a Pogue but was put off by the combination of high price and potentially dubious history / originality.

I saw one on the bay recently listed simply as a very old Seiko collectors watch and with the listing saying it was 40+ years old and belonging to the sellers father.

Now I'm always a bit cynical so this sounded too good to be true.

That said, the listing photos showed what looked like an original unpolished case, scratched crystal and what looked like a good dial and hands. No shots of the movement (Hmmm ....) but lots of DNA and crud which are always a good sign of an unmolested watch.

I won the watch for a lot less than my max bid - I was worried that those in the know knew more than me and I'd bought a pup.

It arrived today and it was with a mixture of excitement and trepidation that I opened the packing.

So, what did I find?

The expected grunge ...

but inside, a pristine movement (I don't think that watch has ever been opened) :)

and a dial and hands in great condition :grin:

(just a small amount of pitting to the chrome plating - it could be so much worse)

One of the pushers was stuck fast and there was the expected grunge in all crevices

The bracelet looks original and whilst very grungy and worn is big enough (woo hoo) and not too damaged

So, everything got a jolly good clean .........

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Nice score!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ultrasonic bath and toothbrush time .....

a new crystal from Stefan

and everything back together and on the wrist

the chrono works and resets perfectly, lets see how it keeps time.

I'm really pleased with this watch and feel very lucky that I have what I'm pretty sure is an original example of this iconic watch.

Wow :) :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Definitely a nice example. Although I like the blue dial I have, I love how the yellow one looks!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Excellent catch!!! Great work too, you've probably doubled the value of the watch - enjoy it and wear it in good health!!!

Great work!!

Dan

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Very very nice. Congrats on a great find and I bet you enjoyed the strip down and cleaning process - very satisfying

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did you remove the rotating inner bezel before the ultrasonic cleansing?
Oh yes. ;)

The strip down was done very carefully - I'd not done one of these before and wasn't sure how the crystal was held in place.

I could tell from the new crystal that it wasn't a simple push in, push out and once I'd removed the movement it was obvious I had to remove the bezel.

Once this was off it was a relatively simple process to keep removing the layers until all that remained was the plastic inner bezel.

I always take photos as I go, that way I can refer to them when I put things back together.

I am so impressed with the engineering and build quality of the vintage Seikos.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Crud is one of the things that has always put me off secondhand watches but that transformation is amazing and it looks almost new. I am re-thinking my entire wish list now - apart from the fact I do that daily anyway ;-)
Can't find the button to award a point for the post but I'll press it when I do - great post!

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
That is the perfect introduction to 6139 collecting (not possible to have only one:biggrin:).

Polly bought me my second 6139, just like yours, gold resist 6002, from the son of its original owner. He told her it was his late fathers pride and joy. This is the way to buy them.

Watchya getting next?:93:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts