The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what would that change be?

Reason I ask is that, lately I've been thinking about Seiko's apparent trend toward higher pricing, and I thought about how awesome the Monster is (especially in terms of value).

That the Monster is highly regarded goes without saying; it seems to be the most talked about and purchased watch on the forums.

I was wondering though: if you could have Seiko make just one design change, what would that be?

For me, my wish is rather small; I just would have liked a day wheel on the Black Monster that has the "SAT" in blue.

So how about you guys?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The monster is definitely one of my all time favs. Though it seem to be getting smaller as my taste tend toward larger watches.
So for me i wish it is bigger about 46mm w/o crown 8)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
badern said:
The monster is definitely one of my all time favs. Though it seem to be getting smaller as my taste tend toward larger watches.
So for me i wish it is bigger about 46mm w/o crown 8)
Isn't it funny how tastes have changed? A watch with the moniker "Monster" is now considered to be relatively smaller (at least amongst divers).

I'm not gonna lie though; I'd be curious to see a 45mm-46mm without crown version of the Monster.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hmm tough introspection here...at it's price point it's darned near perfect minus those who despise it's styling ques. If I really had to say, it would probably be it's color of orange. I'd rather it closer resemble or match Doxa's orange as it is "orange perfection"

So what part of your BM you going to mod G? ;D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd like Seiko to lift their game and fit a decent clasp. The standard Seiko dive watch pressed metal tat is unacceptable in 2010.

Can I change a 2nd thing?

If so, it would be to ditch the very mediocre chapter ring. The minute marks could be printed on the dial, leving a brushed steel rehaut simialr to that on a Sub.

That is all.

·
Registered
443 Posts
(1) Don't like the second hand;
(2) Don't like the day window;
(3) The shroud design near the crown is not my liking..
(4) The bracelet...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jbdan said:
If I really had to say, it would probably be it's color of orange. I'd rather it closer resemble or match Doxa's orange as it is "orange perfection"
I had a feeling this one might come up. I think I recall the orange dial on the OM to be a bit yellow-ish (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

I didn't used to be so hot on the color orange, but I'm starting to come around.

The OM was actually my first auto, so there is a certain sense of nostalgia there. If one came up like those old World of Watches deals for $127 shipped I'm pretty sure I'd pick it up. ;D

jbdan said:
So what part of your BM you going to mod G? ;D
Not a darn thing! O0 I know that sentiment might seem a bit contradictory to the theme of this thread, but I'm a purist at heart. For me, modding an iconic (albeit affordable) watch like the Monster is blasphemy...lol.

The one exception is that I don't mind alternating bracelets/straps, but that's only if I've got the original on hand.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jason_recliner said:
I'd like Seiko to lift their game and fit a decent clasp. The standard Seiko dive watch pressed metal tat is unacceptable in 2010.

Can I change a 2nd thing?

If so, it would be to ditch the very mediocre chapter ring. The minute marks could be printed on the dial, leving a brushed steel rehaut simialr to that on a Sub.

That is all.
I can see where you're coming from in regards to the clasp. I know it's completely acceptable given the price point (and the build of the rest of the watch that more than makes up for it), but certainly a machined clasp would be nice.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seikomatic said:
(1) Don't like the second hand;
(2) Don't like the day window;
(3) The shroud design near the crown is not my liking..
(4) The bracelet...
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and guess that you do not own a Monster. ;)

·
Special Member
5,239 Posts
^-^ Great great watch, agree with Time. hand wind+ hack :-*
Bob

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've owned five now, still have one (the Harold modded one below). I must like them a lot, because I can't seem to stop buying them. But then, I flip 'em too. So there are things I'd change. Maybe with these changes, I'd never flip one again.

1) Lose the day of the week wheel.
2) Once you've done that, you could use a 6R15, so it could hack and hand wind.
3) I've never been a fan of the look of the bracelet. If it came with a standard mesh, ala the second pic below (by William Jean), it'd be awesome right out of the gate.
4) Now that I think about it, the rubber strap is not so great either. An Italian rubber strap like in the first pic would be a great OEM inclusion.

There, sell it that way - hacking, hand winding, no day of the week wheel, with mesh and an Italian rubber strap - all in one package, and you've got a helluva watch. Bring it to market for under $500 and I bet you could sell a bunch of 'em.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
the crown guard looks a bit strange.i,m sure seiko could have done a better job than that,
also the date window surround could be improved

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I may stand alone and be thinking a little too metaphysically for a holiday Monday morning, but I don't think I would change a thing. Sure, there are things I would like to have, but then I don't think it would still be a "Monster" in all the ways that we think of it. Not only has the current design stood the test of time at 10+ years and counting, but it has also served as a foundation for a near infinite number of owner customizations simply because the original is unique and affordably priced. Any change to the stock model would have likely increased the sales price and who knows what impact that would have on the current popularity of this model.

The impact of the Monster on the history of Seiko can be debatable, but the influence on the culture of collecting can't be ignored. I'd like to think that in 30 years when the future cadre of watch enthusiasts "discover" the Monster they will either think "WTF were these people thinking" or "this is the coolest thing ever". Perhaps that will be no change from the current way of thinking.

Besides, I know that anything I could ever want to do to the Monster has already been done simply because the Monster is what it already is.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts