The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picking this arbitrary time scale as it is within most of our WIS collecting memories.

So, you're in the time machine and have a few days to pick up whatever you want that would have been around then...
What would you be picking up and why?

Not long back read Stephen King's '11/22/63' which is pretty damn good, and it got me thinking

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
I'd live on eBay, and buy up 6309s, 6105s, 6139s. 6159s etc. Buy the hell out of them.

·
Administrator
28,459 Posts
Spencer said:
I'd live on eBay, and buy up 6309s, 6105s, 6139s. 6159s etc. Buy the hell out of them.

:iagree:

and many more, i joined ebay in 2001 and made some great buys by to days standards but not enough, hind sight is a great thing but if i had known then the little i know now i would have filled my loft up with the treasures available :)

But guys will look back in 10 years time at the prices we are paying today and say "those were the days" imo.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been collecting for about 20 years, I have a bunch of sales ads from collectors/sellers that would mail ( :eek: yes, US postal mail, before [email protected] was big) their watch list out every month or so. I cry when I look through them now, especially the Swiss chronographs/divers, etc. Heuer Autavias for $300 (sell for $1000 plus now) and so on.....I too would have bought, bought, bought. I guess I would have picked the correct Lotto numbers too....LOL :))

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
But guys will look back in 10 years time at the prices we are paying today and say "those were the days" imo.
Exactly! I remember a few years ago (5 or 6) I didn't buy a 6105-8119 for USD 230 because of its wabi'd bezel insert and slightly scratched crystal... good lord...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've only been in the game a year and prices on some watches have gone up quite a bit since then. I remember passing on a few presmatics, M88s, and 6309s last spring that I'd love to have another chance on. Oh well, live and learn. Going back 10 years though I would've been 14 and didn't know what an automatic watch was. I was on ebay regularly but I was hunting for ATV parts. I might still be doing that if I could get the darn thing up the stairs to my apartment :57: Seikos now fulfill my desire to tinker.

-Micah

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I would spend every CENT on PARTS Dials, Hands, Bezels, True a NOS say 6105 $2000+ cost $150 ? $120.00 Great Profit

OEM Dials were $6.00 so for the $150 ==25 OEM DIALS lol at $200 each $5000

Sets of 6105 Hands - Ah to Dream

Sorry I was way past 10 years Thats what happens when I start Dreaming and not Reading :57:

Attachments

·
Registered
24,621 Posts
Spencer said:

:iagree: And "Spares"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Spencer said:

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: (mainly 6139 ;) )

·
Registered
127 Posts
Spencer said:
Me three (or is it 4?). Also as said before, NOS parts- especially for the aforementioned watches. Oh, and NOS waffle and razor straps.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
In some ways I think we just saw the start of the tipping point in the past year for 7A's - 7A28s especially. The one to watch for me as a test subject, a value indicator is the 7A28-702x (all GP dress model) - when Tiger started talking about the general model at length, these watches were cheap - $15-20 bucks. Maybe a bit more. Now they're routinely bringing in $40-50-60 and up. I sold one in about 85% condition with excellent dial and hands for $100. I have a feeling the days of cheap 7As are going away.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Great reading what all you guys would be up to, back to the future WIS style ;D . . . I would have a bought a mate of mine's 1979 Tuna he'd had since new, first one I ever saw on someone's arm too, when he offered it to me in 2001, I'd always envied it since I met him twenty years prior to that . . . the reason I didn't say 'yes please' and rip it from his substantial wrist . . . 'no Bretto, I'm not into second hand watches' . . . d'oh !!!!! :banghead: :57:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts