The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
- Movement service (who's the movement guru these days?)

- Thorough ultrasonic case cleaning, but zero sanding/polishing (no abrasives or finish alteration, every honest badge of wear & service remaining)

- Crystal is an exception. Crystal replacement is not for cosmetic, but functional purposes. Clear unscratched xtal is functionally superior & exhibits a safer more reliable resistance to depth/pressure.

- If original bezel insert (or quality reproduction) could be found, that would be a big step forward. Otherwise, I'd remove, lightly clean, and reglue current insert. Honest wabi retained, but reliably functional again.

- Lume.. personal preference here.. lotsa different opinions.. Issues of originality and collectibility aside, if a dive watch doesn't exhibit working luminosity, it's not a functional diver (IMHO). Don't know who the ranking "lume master" on the boards is these days, but I'd have today's equivalent of Kent Parks hit hands/dial/bezel with the brightest longest duration "vintage" tinted lume available. Old school look, modern function. Win/win.

- All seals/o-rings replaced.. Pressure tested to 50% beyond rated depth.. You're good to go.

- Cherry on top.. new 20mm pyramid MM strap.

Then wear the fire out of it for another 50yrs.

Long live the 62MAS!

(JM2CW YMMV!)

·
Registered
579 Posts
New crystal, strap and movement service. That's all folks... She'd never see water again unless a drop of condensation from my beer glass landed on her. :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Movement service.
Polish xtal.
Replace bezel insert, either NOS, or high quality repro whilst looking out for a genuine one.
Relume dial and hands, but I'd think long and hard before deciding who to send it too, I'd want the very best workmanship, money no object.

·
Special Member
1,812 Posts
Movement service.
Polish xtal.
Replace bezel insert, either NOS, or high quality repro whilst looking out for a genuine one.
Relume dial and hands, but I'd think long and hard before deciding who to send it too, I'd want the very best workmanship, money no object.
if money is no object, then better to wait and buy one that is all original, not needing so much reworking and/or repro parts?

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
In all seriousness, this raises a question I've had for a while. We can buy stuff to whiten enamel on our teeth, and various other aged materials can be 'bleached' (term, not chemical) to look whiter/lighter than their age otherwise leaves them. It makes me wonder if there isn't something out there that can be used in these situations to do something to just the lume to lighten/brighten it?

·
Administrator
30,651 Posts
In all seriousness, this raises a question I've had for a while. We can buy stuff to whiten enamel on our teeth, and various other aged materials can be 'bleached' (term, not chemical) to look whiter/lighter than their age otherwise leaves them. It makes me wonder if there isn't something out there that can be used in these situations to do something to just the lume to lighten/brighten it?
IMO I think the original Lume has just rotted/decomposed so really not a lot can be done with it ? again jmo having messed with old Lume on dials.

·
Special Member
6,477 Posts
I say new bezel, clean up the hands or get an NOS set (no aftermarkets unless they really look exact) and new crystal

I don't think the movement should be serviced if it's running well enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts