The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking lately about my collection and what I would do if I had to only keep ten watches. Why ten ok I don't know it sounded like a good number. But then how would I determine which ten are the best. Some have historic value some have market value some have personal value and some have none of the above but I like them. So to make a longish story shorter I hit upon the idea of my ten watches that get the most wrist time.
So then here in no particular order are the watches I wear far more than most others combined

starting on the left in the top row :
The first is the Riki Watanabe Alba mechanical which I think has one of the most perfect dials of any watch I have seen. its fat but comfortable and does a fine job of keeping time.
I purchased the Citizen minute repeater from the web, and while a difficult watch to set its very comfortable and good looking and I love the chime, for what ever reason Citizen seems to be able to equip even their mid tier watches with high end bands and this one is no exception.
The Citizen Nighthawk is awesome and for what ever reason beyond me This citizen has a really super band and clasp. beefy beautifully made with no pressed parts.
I recently bought the Orient star retrograde and it get a lot of wrist time nice watch.
and finally in the top row the Orient sun moon dial which is for me the most beautiful dial i have.
on the bottom row I have:
My GS spring drive. elegant and without being flashy and again great band and clasp.
my dad gave me the 6146-8000 grand seiko in 1970. He purchased it in Japan the year before and it sat in his closet unused until he gave it to me. It is the watch I have owned the longest and the watch I will not part with. It still runs within its plus five minus three rating most of the time and is an excellent and supremely comfortable watch/
the Sumo is the diver I wear most because its much more comfortable all day than my marine master,
I wear the 6139-6002 about three or four times a month its in lovely shape although I suspect the some polishing on the back of the case.
and finally but not least the ubiquitous 5 here decked out with a wrold time dial,
these are not all my most expensive or rarest or most collectable pieces but these are the ones I grab when I want something to wear. thanks for looking

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Hi John, I think most WIS have thoughts like this especially when you mostly wear only a few of them. I have been there myself but concluded that I am a collector and a wearer and have a whole bunch of 6139 and 6138's that I have primarily as a collecting exercise then like you I keep coming back to the same old regulars to use on a daily basis and some of 'the collection' I do not particularly like and will never wear.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You've got some beauties there.

I got it down to 6.

No, 10.

No, 18..................:banghead:

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
wow..10 would be very hard..

·
Special Member
27,725 Posts
:57:10 Watches...I think at One Time or Another I had 10 Incoming !!!! :103:

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
well i have more than 10 incoming...:57:

·
Administrator
32,581 Posts
Personally i should find it easy as i often wear the same watch for weeks or months but it isent :(

But if I really could only keep ten it would be and in no particular order:
  1. 6159-7001
  2. Business Belle
  3. 7A28-7040
  4. 6306-7001 (better 6309).
  5. 6105-8110 "Dirty Harry"
  6. 6105-8000 (worn dial)
  7. 6139-6005
  8. 0624-5009
  9. Pick my favourite TST (they are all favourites).
  10. SkyHawke

Has a exercise not long back I emptied a watch case and it was my intention to put 15 watches in it i wanted to keep and get rid of the rest, I couldent do it :(

Also i think a problem for me is if you have done a fair bit of work on a watch such has new crystal, bezel, hands, crown, dial etc etc or just some of those items you can lose money :(

·
Special Member
7,224 Posts
I love the 2 Grand Seikos the most, the one your Dad gave you cannot be replaced so I respect your special bond with it.

Great 10-pack.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still have over one hundred most quite inexpensive but they get worn maybe two three times a season and some have only been worn once or twice in two or more years and some worn once when I got them and never worn since.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have a manual wind GS from 1970 which I like and wear but to get to ten I had a couple tough choices

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes while I do not do much work on my watches I do make all my own furniture and it is very hard to consider selling any of the pieces I have made. This one is my watch chest

1 - 20 of 29 Posts