The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like manual winds. There is something about having to stop what you are doing to put in the effort to wind it to keep going for another day. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. The watch needs you to keep going, and you need it to know what time it is.

To that end I had decided that my next watch was going to be a manual wind Orient Star (WZ0011DD), until I realised that I already have two silver sunburst dialled watches and another one wasn't really adding anything to my collection. I've changed tack and am thinking of either the enamel dial Seikos (SARX027 etc), or one of the Urushi dialled models (SARX013 or SARW029).
The problem is that they are automatics. I don't have anything against automatics - I feel that adding another 6R15 just isn't getting me excited.

ETA has a manual wind movement, Orient does, Seagull does, Seiko and Citizen doesn't. It's a shame.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I quite enjoy it when my manuals come up in the rotation. I agree, there is something interesting that happens with my relationship with a watch I'm wearing when I'm taking time to wind it daily. Makes the wearing seem somehow more engaged and intimate than an auto or Quartz. Dare I say the relationship with on auto is something more like a relationship with a good dog, and a manual more like a spouse?

·
Special Member
3,463 Posts
I quite enjoy it when my manuals come up in the rotation. I agree, there is something interesting that happens with my relationship with a watch I'm wearing when I'm taking time to wind it daily. Makes the wearing seem somehow more engaged and intimate than an auto or Quartz. Dare I say the relationship with on auto is something more like a relationship with a good dog, and a manual more like a spouse?
Well said.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I am not sure but I believe there was a manual wind modern series of the Grand Seiko but on the other hand I am old and forgetful

1 - 11 of 11 Posts