The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw only one 2 part tachy hand. does this mean that ALL (except the one 6032) of the early speed timer versions shown had their hands replaced at one time or another? or did some of them come w/ both version of the hand? you'll see that the blue dialed and the yellow dialed variety both have the one piece hand, as well as the rarer aqua dial. TIA.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,171.0.html <--- TY's read me

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
It has more to do with the date than the model. 6139's used the 2-piece up through around June/July of 1970 as far as I can tell. Some may have moved away from it earlier than that (I have only ever seen one or two with the two-piece after about March/April 1970), and there may be some that switched a little later. Add to that that many probably got replaced through service over the years and would have been switched out with the one-piece hand just to serve to confusion.

Based on my own experiences, I have never personally seen any 1969 dated 6139 that didn't come with the 2-piece hand, and also never seen one after July 1970 that had the 2-piece.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a,

wouldn't all the speed timer versions be the "early" models which would imply that they originally would have had the 2 piece hand? that's what i was trying to say in the OP.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
A quick google on 6139-6000 images shows that the vast majority of speedtimer marked, and proof marked dial models used the 2 piece but, as far as I am aware, these designations were used well into 1970, so finding some with factory installed one piece hands would be possible. Some early 1970 resist dial 6009's, 5's and 2's also used the 2-piece hand. Add to that that some will have had replacement hands installed sometime during the past 40 years and you end up with the typical answer on these things when it comes to seiko which is, 'the only certainty is that we will remain uncertain'.

This is just like the question around notched cases, nobody knows exactly when they stopped using them or exactly when they started using non-notched cases, just that the earlier the 600x or 603x model you have, the more likely it is that it will be notched.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
the only 6139 I'm aware of with a one-piece hand that's in the early timeframe is my own 6139-6009, which was sent to a Seiko service center at some point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts