The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Orient Star WZ0011DD

I have been thinking long and hard on what my next watch purchase would be. My watch collection at the moment consists of an Orient Star Classic WZ0041EL, the ever popular Seiko SARB017 Alpinist (I was surprised to read in the thread here about watches people don’t like, that some people don’t like the Alpinist at all), and a handful of vintage Swiss watches of various brands that are long gone. I felt it was time to step up from the affordable lower mid-tier watches that I have to something in a slightly higher price point.
I didn’t mind whether Swiss or Japanese. As long as the watch fit what I had in mind, origin was of no concern to me. One condition that I wasn’t going to compromise on was that the watch could not be from the Swatch Group, nor be a Rolex (Not that I had any intention of getting one anyway). With gradual restriction of parts and servicing, I wasn’t prepared to be railroaded in to getting my watch serviced at the convenience of someone else. My watch is mine – I want it serviced by who I want and what I specify. That ruled out almost all Swiss watches, and left mostly German ones.
I started to look around at the usual suspects – the Seiko Cocktail time, a watch I had considered once before; another Orient Star; some other 6R15 based Seikos; and finally the Citizen rand Classic. I really like the Citizen, but it’s too big. I must be about the only guy on this forum who doesn’t want a divers’ watch or anything over 39mm. Then I came across Nomos, a German company. They ticked all the boxes: a classic understated look, under 39mm, date but no day or no date at all, a policy of making parts available and reasonable servicing costs, true in house movement, and clearly a step up in quality in my opinion.
The Nomos Club looked caught my eye and even had an extra feature that I really liked – a manual wound movement. My first “real” watch was a Swiss manual wind I bought at a market, and I always enjoyed the process of winding it every morning. There seems to be a certain sentimental romance of winding your timepiece to give it life. I like automatics, but the essence of their design is to remove that process. Manual wind watches tend to be a lot thinner, and this appealed to me too. The price was affordable as long as I saved consistently for a while.
Club_314.jpg
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Nothing beats being able to handle the watch you want to buy before making the purchase. I went to the importer here in Sydney to look at the Club, and it was even better than pictures on the internet can ever convey. It really cemented my decision and gave me a focus for my saving. It was going to take a while though, but good things come to those who wait.
Club_Familie.jpg
Months went by and the watch fund slowly built up. I realized it was going to take about another year to save enough at the rate I was going but dug my heels in and kept saving. The, several weeks ago, I was casually looking at Seiyajapan.com and lamenting the fact that all the Orient Stars without extra complications looked and were pretty much the same. The I clicked on the WZ0011DD, wondering why this seemingly innocuous Orient Star was on Seiya’s site when all the Japanese sites seem to have the OS Classics and not much else.
wz0011dd-c_1024x1024.jpg wz0011dd-e_1024x1024.jpg
orient_wz0011dd (2).jpg orient_wz0011dd_1.jpg
At first it didn’t really grab me. Silver dial, power reserve, that’s about it. Then I read it was hand wind. Now this made me pay attention. I looked at it in more depth. Those numbers on the dial looked nice, it’s not too big and true to vintage form, it has a steel caseback. It looked good, and at half the price of a Nomos I was seriously blown off course in my plotted voyage to acquire a Nomos. The more I looked at it the more I liked it. I like the way the caseback is rounded too, something you won’t get with an automatic as they back needs to be flattened out to accommodate the swinging rotor.
I ‘m not completely sold though. I do sometimes wonder if it looks a little bland, but that’s the nature of dressier watches, understated. I also wonder if I shouldn’t try a bit harder and get something other than an Orient. But they are such good value for money that it’s hard to go past them. The final reservation is servicing and parts. Good luck with trying to get an Orient serviced in the Asia Pacific. The nearest service centre is Indonesia.
orient_wz0011dd_17.jpg orient_wz0011dd_4.jpg orient_wz0011dd_3.jpg
So where does that leave me – Nomos or Orient? At the moment I’m leaning towards the Orient, and it looks about a 95% certainty I’ll go with that. Unless something comes up that really puts me off the Orient, then I’ll go with it. But what are the chances of that happening? Orient Stars are great watches, and there simply isn’t enough to the watch for anything unusual to come to the surface.

Anyway, I thought I’d share my thoughts with you all. Thanks for reading.

All Orient Star pics are from either from seiyajapan.com or yeomanseiko.com – two great sites and worth a visit.
All Nomos pics are from the Nomos website.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yes, very simple and classical...

Yes, you make good points, that Orient has a very austere, minimal design.

I especially like how the power reserve has no numbers or scaling, I mean we all know how it works, so why "busy" up the dial?

And those two raised numbers as the only hour marks is also very simple and minimalistic.

Even the case and lugs project a vintage, simple (dare we say Bauhaus) look.

I think you have made a good find, considering what you are looking for.

- Thomas

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Not for me, since I am all automatic and require a date window - but this piece is certainly a looker and looks very well made.

A watch that will never go out of style and for a fraction of the Nomos' price - I would probably go for it :)

Best
Hermann

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Here is a slightly different Orient, which has the date window an no number markers. Found it used in very clean shape. The gold plating did not bother me! As you know, Orient mechanicals have great movements. I love the fact that the reserve needle moves very quickly when hand winding!
Orient on stand by blingmeister, on Flickr

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a slightly different Orient, which has the date window an no number markers. Found it used in very clean shape. The gold plating did not bother me! As you know, Orient mechanicals have great movements. I love the fact that the reserve needle moves very quickly when hand winding!
That's a nice Orient Star Classic there Thianwong.

Here's some other shots from nanaple on Rakuten of the WZ0011DD and also the gold WZ0021DD version.
Last is the only wrist shot I can find.

wz0011dd-b.jpg
wz0021dd-b.jpg
wz-0021dd-cya (2).jpg

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The Orient Star is very good value for the money and I do like the simple design and dial layout.

I have an Orient Star with power reserve indicator but it is a much busier dial.

The only reservation that I have with Orient's is the finish on their brushed surfaces, they do not feel like they are the same quality as a similar priced Seiko and the texture is a little bit rougher. This is a very minor complaint and is likely just me as I have not seen this mentioned by anyone else.

The model you are looking at seems to have a more satin finish to it so it would not not be a factor in that model anyway.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Orient

I have the Orient and it is a really nice watch. Both the hands and the dial are very high quality and look really expensive. Yeomans pics get fairly close but it is even better in real life. At first, I thought it was a bit expensive at list price but there are a few turning up in Japan at about 40 % off list which makes it a bargain.

- martin

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have the Orient and it is a really nice watch. Both the hands and the dial are very high quality and look really expensive. Yeomans pics get fairly close but it is even better in real life. At first, I thought it was a bit expensive at list price but there are a few turning up in Japan at about 40 % off list which makes it a bargain.

- martin
Very interesting. Martin, where have you seen it at 40% off? I will be placing my order in the next few weeks.
Some pics of yours would be great to see.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Very interesting. Martin, where have you seen it at 40% off? I will be placing my order in the next few weeks.
Some pics of yours would be great to see.
Yahoo Japan auctions. There were perhaps one or two listed per month but most close to the list price so it could take a while to find a cheap one. Mine was an unused watch but from a private seller. My pics do not really do the watch justice as you need a good setup to make the dial look anything close to real life.

- martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts