The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help finding someone to fix this...

So apparently attempting something as simple as a battery replacement was a mistake. My H558-5009 was doing the second hand stutter, so I got a new battery and attempted to replace it like I have on other watches in the past. Well, lo and behold I think I fried it. No display and no movement, even with the old battery. I know, I know, leave it to the professionals... Anyway, I'm guessing it needs a new movement.

I've also got a 6309-7049 with a bad date wheel, a 6306-7001 with slightly misaligned hands and a 6105-8009 that should probably be serviced and get a new crystal.

I've sent my watches to Jack at IWW in the past, but I'm looking to perhaps save a little time (he usually seems like he's booked at least 6 months out) and money if possible. Anyone have any other ideas for servicing these? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Did you "AC" the H558 after changing the battery ? assuming it has one of course
seikola
Call me stupid, but what do you mean by "AC" it? Couldn't find anything when I searched.

Incidentally, I have an email out to Spencer Klein for some help with them.

Here's a pic of the fallen heroes:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
AC is a hole in the back of the movement into which you insert a metal wire. Like a paper clip. This causes the circuitry to reset itself and is last step of the battery change procedure on this model. If you look through a Loupe you'll see the letters AC next to the hole. Give it a try...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
H558

Sorry to hear she didn't fire up straight away.

Happy to have a look at it for you (I have some experience btw)

Spares can be sourced via donor movements from dress watch versions.

Regards Barry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I tried again this afternoon and got it working!!!

The hole doesn't say AC on mine, but it does say "push." For anyone else who is wondering, in this picture it's the hole just below and to the right of the gold screw at about 4 o'clock on the movement.

Thanks again guys!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The H558 movement doesn't have an AC reset hole. The "push" hole you are referring to is the stem release.
I figured that's what that was too. However when I pushed it something happened and the watch started up. Weird. Maybe I inadvertently touched something else that performed the Juju that revived the watch?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Glad it's working and apologies for the misdirection on the AC. Very common on Seiko quartz and several of the Ana-Digi movements have them. Though this one did as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have an old Belltime digital watch from the early 80's and still going strong. After a battery change all the display is gobbledygook. By pressing all of the 4 buttons on the side at once the watch returns to factory settings. I know some digital watches have their secret ways of resetting the display, the secret is finding out which one works for your particular watch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts