The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My "sweet spot" for my Seiko purchases is around US$200, although I have paid twice that much for certain models in "like new" condition, even two and a half times as much for a couple recently.

So there are many models that are just "out of reach", which doesn't bother me at all. I wear all my watches no matter how "precious" or "historical", and they get banged against door frames and desktops. :-O There are no "safe queens" at Thomas's house! :-D

And as much as I spend on watches, I am not wealthy. I rent a tiny house out in the boonies of southern Ohio, and drive a 2000 Dodge Dakota pickup. If I owned a $3000 watch I would freak out the first time I dinged it, so I simply do not want a watch that is too expensive.

On the other hand, I am a perfectionist engineer. If there is one thing I understand above all else, it's "quality"!

Hey, look! One of those EMS bags from Japan!! Woohoo! :-D

Click for Big Image

Ah-ha! There is that neatly packaged and labeled bundle, that tells us what seller this is from! :) HEY! Don't read that label!! :-\ You'll ruin the surprise!!

But instead of the usual plastic organizer box, this one seems to be in a big, watch gift box??

Click for Big Image

And yes, there is the outer gift box, a relatively generic black example.

Click for Big Image

And in that is a 70's "leisure-suit style" stitched watch box! Get down! :-D

I usually have a problem with opening watch boxes though...

Click for Big Image

Darn it, it's stuck!! :-( This always happens to me!

Help me push okay? I want to get this open! Push... Push!!

Click for Big Image

There we go! It's a really clean 1973 Grand Seiko 5646-7010, except for the crystal. Also known as a "56 Grand Seiko Weekdater", it has a "tweaked" for accuracy 56xx series day/date movement, running at 28,800 bph, hacking, hand-wind-able and automatic.

Click for Big Image

With black baton, or "stick" hands and hour markers, it is not as dressy as the silver beveled designs but it really gives a perception of precision. And yet, it is still a 56xx series movement with the plastic quick-set clutch, so you have to be careful never to use the quick-set from about 9 pm to 4 am.

Click for Big Image

A look at the exquisite GS crown.

Click for Big Image

The subject side.

Click for Big Image

And the gold medallion on the back.

You can see a few good scratches on the back, and the real problem with this watch is there are three deep gouges in the crystal near 3 o'clock. Not much chance of finding a new crystal for a watch like this, right?

Click for Big Image

Wait, what's that? :-O

Is it a bird?

A plane?

No it's Super Stephan! With one last new original Seiko crystal 300V16GNS!! :-D

Click for Big Image

Please don't ask what it cost, I am extremely grateful that Stephan was willing to part with it, but I picture him in a bathtub of gold coins, pouring them over his head! :-D Okay, maybe the coins are those newer golden nickels...

Click for Big Image

And here it is on my wrist, 36 mm across without the crown, all wound up and set. The crown functions are smooth and easy, and it looks "marvelous"!

Click for Big Image

Yes, it did cost just over 2 and a half times my US$200 "sweet spot", but for such a clean, high-beat Grand Seiko, I felt like "the price was right"!

Thanks for looking!

- Thomas

·
Vendor
1,696 Posts
"Quote Thomas" Please don't ask what it cost, I am extremely grateful that Stephan was willing to part with it, but I picture him in a bathtub of gold coins, pouring them over his head! :-D Okay, maybe the coins are those newer golden nickels...

Since you bought this crystal Ive moved onto bathing in a bathtub of diamonds lol..........
Beautiful example wear it in good health mate...................

1 - 3 of 3 Posts