The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

So on more and more occasions, I find myself wearing cuffed shirts and suits and my classic Seikos - a modded SKX399 and a black bullhead- are just too fat.

My H357 might be a bond watch and was my father's watch, but she's no beauty. I have a beautiful cheap vintage Doxa, but she's dead now and I don't want to spend the money on a repair. So I'm down to a tuning fork Tissot for every theater opening night and I fear people start to notice. :cool:

Now, I know nothing about dressy Seikos. What's a nice, classic/vintage piece I can get in the $100-200 range that has a bit of history? I guess Grand Seikos are out of the picture? No fake gold, please.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Thomas is probably the best one to ask, but here are two of my favourite vintage dress watches:

6619-8970 from Aug '65

6206-8001 from April '65

Both well within the $100-$200 budget.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My latest Seiko dress watch....

Hi Flood , I just purchased this Seiko SARB065 Automatic 6R15 for under $400
When I first saw it I had to have it and am glad I did . The nickname is the " Cocktail Watch "....1 of 3 designs done for Seiko by consignment by an award winning bartender . It is a JDM and has to be ordered through a Japanese authorized dealer in Japan . I got mine through Ebay....

Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 12.38.44 AM.png

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one, I'd like to own a 6R15, but I guess it will be hard to stay within budget.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Well there are so many different Seiko dress watches out there...what do you like?...Era?...what color?...for your budget...you might be very shocked there are more than you think....God Bless John..and the vintage Doxa...there are people on here to help you fix that too...

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
love the shirt

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
ooh, that 6206-8001 is sweet!

I also have the gold version and a black 6206-9000, which is slightly larger (the three you can see in my avatar).

There's a whole world of vintage dress watches out there, but they're becoming more popular and prices seem to be rising.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
There are lots of vintage options out there. Staying away from fake gold pretty much eliminates "modern" Seikos. Here is a vintage 6602 that is dressy and within your price range.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
there are so many choices...looks like you will need a few

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps saving 100 extra bucks and looking for a sarb033, or 071 might be what you're after. The same watch, the 71 comes on leather.
Or head over to Seikos little brother and pick up an Orient Bambino. (Orient is owned by Seiko, and it's under 200)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Vintage Seikos are nice!

I was a dedicated "tool" watch wearer, always insisting on a timer bezel, big legible dials and bright lume.

But lately I have been slowly seduced to the dress watch style, starting with the modern Seiko SARB's (033, 035, 065, 072), but more recently by the classic, conservative, cost-conscious choices available in vintage Seiko watches, not to mention some amazing and historically important movements.

But be careful, the vintage world is 90% lies and over-polished, badly overhauled, mixed parts and liars. I would recommend you only buy (on eBay at least) from "saitama_jp", "nonkun0508" and "hosoirenmei". You can also visit the Antique Watch Bar (http://antiquewatchat.blogspot.com) but you may pay more.

And ask us lots of questions, read lots of "history" articles, like the database forum at Seikoholics (http://seikoholics.yuku.com/forums/69/Japanese-Watch-Info-Database#.VNbKcMZWFs0) and Google the Seiko models numbers and movements as you shop, and read all the cool links that come up.

Here are a few of my recent acquisitions:

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Hmm, I guess I've bought a few lately!! :-D

- Thomas

·
Registered
507 Posts
The nickname is the " Cocktail Watch "
I cosign that, although it is out of your budget. You will have to go second hand for something decent in your price bracket.

BTW, it's called the Cocktail Time, not cocktail watch. A cocktail watch is something very different.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
If I was after a nice dress watch that's better than the entry level '5's I would look at the SARB033/5, its a little over budget but you know you're worth it:biggrin:

If you go vintage there is so much choice, all you need to do is look for something you like the look of and prey it works/keeps working.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts