The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always liked it's "mechanical look" if that is a word :) ...

But to tell the truth I never thought about owning one...these last few weeks I have been looking at more and more pictures of the beast and am becoming intrigued...

What do owners of the Zilla have to say about it. How does it compare to the Seiko Tuna in your opinion? Also I noticed there seems to be more than one style of Walt's adapters for the watch...am I correct? Is it easy to get the adapters and how much do these cost?

Thanks guys...pics would be great ;)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
That's a watch that I would buy "just because" it's one of THE modern dive watches. I really don't think it's a practical everyday watch because of the size, so I wouldn't be able to wear it much, but I still would get it because of the coolness factor. I think it would be a true "collector's watch" for me, and not like my other watches that I bought because I wear them a lot. If I could find one I definitively would buy it.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I think 30 years from now that is the watch that people will either be saying, "what the hell were they thinking?" or "how cool is that!"

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Still yet to own one myself.I do have the TI Ecozilla i love and also the St/Steel Zilla which is a beast but i also love it.The Autozilla is one i would like to own one day to have the set but apart from that it is a cool watch and its one i would wear everyday as well as for diving. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
IMHO the ecozilla is an impressive piece. It is very well built, unique styling and the ecodrive system can't be beat for long term peace of mind and reliability. That said, The Tuna Can (at least the SBBN007) has a higher grade movement, is more finely put together, has 40 years of history behind it, has a much better bezel mechanism and is slightly smaller - which makes it far more wearable. On the downsides the Zillas (all of them) come with unique strap and bracelet attachments, and must be modified to use standard straps and bracelets. They are also so big that they can be difficult to wear with a wider variety of clothing. The styling is also a bit in your face and it is not for everyone. The tuna does a better job of being more restrained, and it's standard lugs allow it to take just about any strap or straight end bracelet without modification. The tuna's are considerably more expensive than the Eco-Zilla though.

BTW, That begs the question. why is it that for a watch that was originall priced at around $300, Tuna Can prices have continued to increase, while eco-zilla prices have remained relatively stable and can still be had brand new for well bellow $300.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isthmus said:
IMHO the ecozilla is an impressive piece. It is very well built, unique styling and the ecodrive system can't be beat for long term peace of mind and reliability. That said, The Tuna Can (at least the SBBN007) has a higher grade movement, is more finely put together, has 40 years of history behind it, has a much better bezel mechanism and is slightly smaller - which makes it far more wearable. On the downsides the Zillas (all of them) come with unique strap and bracelet attachments, and must be modified to use standard straps and bracelets. They are also so big that they can be difficult to wear with a wider variety of clothing. The styling is also a bit in your face and it is not for everyone. The tuna does a better job of being more restrained, and it's standard lugs allow it to take just about any strap or straight end bracelet without modification. The tuna's are considerably more expensive than the Eco-Zilla though.

BTW, That begs the question. why is it that for a watch that was originall priced at around $300, Tuna Can prices have continued to increase, while eco-zilla prices have remained relatively stable and can still be had brand new for well bellow $300.

Thank for your reply Gabe but I am particularly interested in the Autozilla rather than the Ecozillas...

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Much of the comments remain the same, except that the autozilla is even bigger. It's Movement is a bit pedestrian (though not a bad movement) when compared to the price tag that goes with the watch. It's styling is also a bit less tool-like than that of the eco-zilla (slightly more cartoony IMHO). Other than that it is a very solid watch. However, for it's price and for the kind of movement, IMHO you would get a Far better piece for around the same money (if you use one of their never ending discounts) if you go with Orient's big SAT divers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts