The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February, I won an Ebay auction and got a 7c43-700a from 1986. My birth year watch. However, I didn't receive the watch right away. I had to wait 5 months to get it. I paid a good price, but the seller didn't know if the watch was working or not. So, after getting the watch, I quickly opened it up and placed a new battery. And behold, it was working!

I was happy for a few days. However, the crystal wasn't in the best shape, so I started looking for another one. A forum member asked me if I can send him the old crystal and he'll send me a new one. I agreed.

The next day I visited my watchmaker to remove the crystal. He wasn't able to remove the crystal because he was afraid that he'll damage the bezel. And he wasn't able to remove the bezel also. So I went home and removed the bezel myself. (I did that before on my 6306 and SRPC23.) Since that went well, I also wanted to see if I can remove the movement, so that I don't transport it without the case. I found some guides online for removing the crown, since I wasn't able to remove it on my own. And it worked.

Today I went to the watchmaker again, with the case only and he quickly removed the crystal. Since I saw that it's easy to remove the crystal (with the screw down ring), I decided to put an old crystal from the 6306 (even though it's scratched) and to assemble the watch again. But, after putting it all together, it doesn't work any more!

I don't remember exactly what I did. I believe I removed the battery before removing the crown, but maybe I didn't. I really don't know. Is there anything that I can try on my own to make it work again? I plan to bring the watch to the watchmaker, but somehow I doubt he'll want to work on it. He usually works on mechanical movements, but he's not much concerned with other stuff - cases, bezels, etc. I'm not sure about quartz movements.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... The watch works again. And I didn't do anything. It was just sitting on the table since yesterday and at some point it started working.

I guess I'll be wearing it for a few days to see if it works well or not.

·
Outlaw
318 Posts
A service with a seasoned professional will have it back to reliable working order I’m sure. Nice watch. Hoping to end up with a similar patina on my skx.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Change that crystal when you get a chance too. I believe the screw down retaining ring models like 7548-701A, 7548-7010 and 7C43’s are different to the 320W34GA00. 320W48GA00 seems to be the correct crystal

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what the problem is. I've been wearing it for a couple of days and it seems it works fine.

I don't think that the room temperature has warmed the movement oil since the temperature is pretty high here both inside and outside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very nice watch. I have a 7C43-6A00 birthyear (and birth month watch!) from the 80's. I am really careful with it because parts are really hard to fin, according to Spencer Klein. Hopefully no more issues arise!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts