The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everybody,
I just bought my first Seiko Bell-matic. It is a 4006-6011 and I believe it is from 1972. It looks like someone painted the hands yellow, so my first order of business is to hand it over to a watch repair place (I found someone local that works on old watches) to get it serviced and have the hands replaced. I'll have to buy some original Bell-matic hands and a nicer strap.

I don't really have any specific questions for you all. I am just wondering if you have any recommendations or insight into the watch I have acquired.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so I do have some questions:

-The number on the bottom of the face that straddles the 6 o'clock marker reads "Japan 4006 6010T" but the number on the back of the watch reads "4006-6011". What gives? Is that normal or have parts been swapped?

-I will need to replace the hands. There is someone on ebay selling the correct minute and hour hands, but they are expensive and there is no second hand. I will likely still buy them and just find a similar second hand elsewhere. Can any of you help me out here in finding the correct sized hands?

-The watch makes some noise when shaken. This sounds unmistakably like the automatic weight swinging around inside. Is it that noisy on your Bell-matics?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the pictures. I replaced the decidedly unmatched band with an 18mm one I had. It is on the small side, but I kind of like it. If you cannot tell from the photos, the hands have indeed been painted yellow (not replaced with with yellow hands), and not very well. Aside from that I really like this watch. It's the perfect dress watch in my opinion. It's interesting but not too flashy, there is a lot that's modern about it but there's no doubt it's a vintage watch, and it's the perfect size for my wrist. Not too small, and not too big.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
G'day nilinds and congrats on getting a great bellmatic. I love that linen dial, but those hands are awful. Good luck finding hands. If you can't find the right ones I think hands from seiko dress watches from the same era might be interchangable. I one had a 7006 7020 that had identical hands to a bellmatic I owned at the same time. You may be able to trawl eBay to find a cheap donor watch.

Alternatively, a good watch guy may be able to clean off that paint and relume the hands.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome to our little family, you've got a nice looking watch, there. I've always been partial to the linen-style dials :)

As far as the numbers being different on the case back and printed on the dial, that is common as long as it is the 2nd set of 4 that is different. The "4006" is the movement number and should always be the same on both. The 2nd set of 4 on the dial is most likely the part # for the dial itself, whereas the 2nd set of 4 on the case back is the case style number.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Great looking watch, particularly the dial... Not so sure about the hands, but that can be fixed.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Hi nilinds my first Bellmatic was a 6011 too, I think you should get new hands if you can find them because they will really set off the watch. You will find that hands from any Seiko mechanical watch will fit if you want to search for a donor watch.

On my Bells I found most of the automatic winding weights rattled but the only way to see if the bearing is worn is to take the caseback off and look for rubbing marks, your watch guy should check this when he services the movement. They are relatively fiddly and complex but OK if you follow the tech service sheet found on this site in the resources section. The 4006 is an excellent cal. and can run a treat, even in unserviced condition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I'll update this as soon as the ghastly yellow hands are gone. I appreciate your feedback, and I'm really glad I found the bell-matics. I promise I won't tell anyone about them though.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Except for the hands, a beautiful -6011!

:clap:
:clap:

The advice you've been given is spot on. Look for a cheap donor watch or hope that your old-watch worker can find some originals or remove that hideous paint job.
I am pretty sure this is what they should look like:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went to the local watch repair place here and the owner said he could remove the paint for about $70, which I thought was on the high-end of reasonable but I was willing to pay it. To service the watch however would be $400-$500. I decided to find another place because that seems way too high. I am on the east coast of the US if any of you have any recommendations, otherwise I'll jut shop around and probably send it off somewhere to get the hands changed and the watch serviced.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
He'll yes, that's way too high. I have a couple of guys local to me that will service a bellmatic for abut $150 Australian (say $135 US at current rates). For $70 you should be able to buy a great donor watch to get perfect hands too.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
It is well worth getting the hands restored and the watch serviced. Bell-Matics come in various guises, and yours is one of the nicest. I certainly wouldn't part with mine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
if you search the correct band this is one .....the Seiko version

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that really looks good with the original bracelet.

I found some replacement hands, but they are not the "sword" style, they are the squared-off rectangle type you see on other Bell-matics. Would it be sacrilegious of me to use those hands?

Also, I am trying to find Ken from abouttimewatches to do the work, but it looks like he's out of business?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nevermind, I found Ken and he will be servicing the watch. Again, thanks a lot for your help everyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kens a good guy! He recently did my Bell, check the posts for pics of my restoration. He has my 27j bell in his capable hands as well.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
well once i get mine all set to go...it will need a good service too...great info

1 - 20 of 20 Posts