The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to share this one...

I know I don't need any more of these, but when ever one shows up on the cheap, I can't resist. They are a steal. Well made and after all these years, many of them work like a gem. Can you say that about a Swiss watch?

This one cost so little and is really in nice shape. I just took it out of the box and didn't do anything to it. Just snapped some pics. The bracelets are poor, and the end links never look right on this model. (Any help in getting them to fit better, let me know).

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Very nice, I somehow ended up with three of these 6012's on the surgery table at the moment and also managed to score a NOS dial the same as yours on the cheap. I am currently embroiled in the process of fixing a movement that is suffering from the stops at 58 seconds issue.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one is keeping perfect time. I wish I knew how to fix them. My hat is off to you for taking the plunge. I have 4 more that don't run, mostly the Pepsi's. Seiko really went all out on this movement. Even at $100 plus it's still a steal if it is in good shape. JMHO...

·
Craftsman
4,009 Posts
Nice find Dan! I picked this one up a while back.........

Attachments

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
I'm a huge fan of them specifically and this era of Seiko watches generally. The quality is really something - my first vintage auto Seiko was a 1971 6106-8237 that had just been hammered in its working life - the Hardlex was so scratched up you could barely read the time. But it worked. Perfectly. After polishing the body and replacing the crystal, I was done. Didn't have to do anything else to it. Almost 40 years without a service and it keeps excellent time. What quality.

Here's my newest 6139, just as it came to me out of an estate sale in Ohio. Currently being worked on by Ken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love these a whole lot as well. I bought one out of curiosity and the one quickly became 6! Considering the age they are obviously high quality pieces. With that said, can anyone shed any light on the minute hand stops at 58 minute mark issue?

Dan

·
Registered
223 Posts
danrodz said:
I love these a whole lot as well. I bought one out of curiosity and the one quickly became 6! Considering the age they are obviously high quality pieces. With that said, can anyone shed any light on the minute hand stops at 58 minute mark issue?

Dan
Do you mean the minute hand stops at 58 or the large second hand stops at 58? If it's the large second hand and the watch has almost run down (not much tension left on the mainspring) then it stops there because more torque is required at that point due to pushing the small minute counter ahead one minute, more torque than the unwound mainspring can provide. If the watch has been wound up and it's stopping at 58 it could be that the little jumper spring that keeps the small minute counter in place is out of adjustment, the wheels that activate and move the small minute counter are out of adjustment, the small minute counter staff has come unstaked from the wheel, etc. There are probably other possibilities as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
isupsyclone said:
Do you mean the minute hand stops at 58 or the large second hand stops at 58? If it's the large second hand and the watch has almost run down (not much tension left on the mainspring) then it stops there because more torque is required at that point due to pushing the small minute counter ahead one minute, more torque than the unwound mainspring can provide. If the watch has been wound up and it's stopping at 58 it could be that the little jumper spring that keeps the small minute counter in place is out of adjustment, the wheels that activate and move the small minute counter are out of adjustment, the small minute counter staff has come unstaked from the wheel, etc. There are probably other possibilities as well.
Thanks, this gives me a few good ideas on where to start!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love the shade of blue on those dials.

I've got 2 of them, one on a velcro, and the other on the same bracelet as Dans..... who incidentally supplied me with some extra links for said bracelet 8) .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Technoman said:
Very nice, I somehow ended up with three of these 6012's on the surgery table at the moment and also managed to score a NOS dial the same as yours on the cheap. I am currently embroiled in the process of fixing a movement that is suffering from the stops at 58 seconds issue.
I am having one 6138 which had the same problem as yours.
you mind letting me know what is the main problem and is it
a common one?
TIA!

·
Registered
12 Posts
isupsyclone said:
my bad for not reading down far enough prior to my previous post.
looks like some adjustment from the doc should do the trick right?
mine's keeping quite accurate time though, albeit for the frequent problem
of stopping time at 58 sec for a while before it moves on.

·
AqualandKing & Special Member
18,386 Posts
I like that one Dan,Gorgeous dial and is that the Original bracelet on that one?I dont know enough about them.
Nice find Dan as always mate. 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts