The Watch Site banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Not just overseas but even all domestic air and train is prohibited by my company. Since a lot of us travel for business.

All of my clients (pharmaceuticals) have instituted firewall policies, they have told all oftheir supplies 'you cannot come in' so now I will stay home 100% of the time instead 1 or of 2 or 3 days a week at home and the rest making sales calls all over the country.

The conference I was going to all week next week was global in nature and canceled.

All schools in New Jersey where we live are to be closed for a few weeks as of now, and in my town for 4 weeks but that consists of 3 weeks at home by computer ("distance learning") and then the usual Spring Break week.

My sister is a teacher in PA they have a 2 week period of pure time off - nothing nada just sit at home.

BUT no hysteria, by and large stores are well stocked except toilet paper and Lysol.

Looks like I'll be at my beach house A LOT this summer.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The Government of Alberta just announced all public schools will be closed until further notice, which means I'll have more time on my hands.

Btw, I filled the car up yesterday for 77.9 cents per litre.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm way down the bottom of the world in Tasmania and we only have 7 confirmed cases so far. Stupid people have been buying all the toilet paper for weeks and when I called into the supermarket today I had to hand back one of the three packets of pasta I intended to buy as I was over the limit. No toilet paper to be had
We're lucky in Australia that it summer, so not peak flu and cold season. Also the government was quick to shut down flights from China so that slowed things down too.
Sports, entertainment and tourism industries are all basically shut down but not public schools yet.
We're not too concerned for ourselves, but of course our parents are all in their 70s so we're worried about them.
The kicker is my planned interstate trip to see Iron Maiden and a football match in May is almost certainly off.
In some good news, I read today that Aussie doctors have had success curing patients with an HIV drug and with an old malaria drug that is no longer used because malaria has a resistance to it. They're hoping to start a full trial in a couple of weeks.
Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Things are going crazy everywhere, but come to think of it, without all the pollution worldwide, Mother nature is healing. This will be over soon, I hope.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Flights to USA later this month cancelled by the airline. I knew that would happen.

Unable to meet up with any of my watch friends but apart from that life is pretty much the same here for me.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
The Government of Alberta just announced all public schools will be closed until further notice, which means I'll have more time on my hands.

Btw, I filled the car up yesterday for 77.9 cents per litre.
Me too; first fillup since before Xmas but it was 99.9 cents here in BC where we have the most expensive gas in Canada :mad:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Wearing facemask is a must, plus social distancing
Distancing like this...

This was taken yesterday at a local Costco :mad:
There is a sign on the pillar that shows people to keep a 6' distance but you can clearly see they are all able to reach out and touch the person in front, so less than 3'.
I though the we Canadians were a little smarter than this but to be fair the demographic around this particular store is not eligible for Mensa membership 🤣

·
Registered
480 Posts
As I write this, I‘m in the midst of the daily routine of watching Governor Cuomo’s daily briefing. I guess people in other parts of the country watch the President, but here in NY I think Mayor DeBlasio and Governor Cuomo are both getting more attention. I was never a big fan of the gov, but his leadership, messaging, and humanity have been exemplary. He is clearly at his best in a crisis.

Which is good, because things are still scary. The death toll in New York State over the past week far exceeds the 2,753 souls lost on 9/11. For those of us who lived through that time and lost friends and loved ones, the COVID-19 numbers — over 7,000 deaths in NY so far — seem unimaginable. The continued challenge is to use social distancing to keep the number of cases under the capacity of the healthcare system; as of today, it’s still a crap shoot. The good news is that the hospitalization rate in NYC seems to be slowing, but outside of the city it is still gathering steam.

I’m about 150 miles north of the epicenter. In my mostly suburban/rural county we have had roughly 100 declared cases and five deaths. Compliance with distancing seems to be good, with few cars on the road, people wearing masks and gloves, etc. Personally, I have been going out no more than once a week, usually to the local grocery store. My wife and I go at 8:00 PM (they close at 9:00) and it’s generally pretty well stocked except for pasta, toilet paper and Lysol. Fortunately I had gone to the big-box store a while ago, so we had a large inventory of paper products before the panic buying started.

Mostly, I have been amusing myself by searching EBay and finding stuff for Tod to buy <g>.

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Im lucky that I can work from home whenever I wish. We have voluntarily locked ourselves away in our "fortress". A man's home is his castle right? A Staycation if you will.
Similar reactions here in New Mexico, except schools are only closed for next 3 weeks at this point, could be extended as they see fit. Funny you mentioned binge watching disaster movies, just wrapped up 6 hours of Stephen King's The Stand last night, Outbreak is next on the docket once the sun sets and back yard Spring work is done for the day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
We just watched "Outbreak" ... Now on to The Andromeda Strain ...
A bright bit of hope is that it appears infections are slowing in Washington/Seattle and we might be on the other side of the curve now. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We just watched "Outbreak" ... Now on to The Andromeda Strain ...
A bright bit of hope is that it appears infections are slowing in Washington/Seattle and we might be on the other side of the curve now. Fingers crossed.
Andromeda Strain is one of my all time favorites. Have to keep a working Laserdisc player around to keep spinning my copy!

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Andromeda Strain is one of my all time favorites. Have to keep a working Laserdisc player around to keep spinning my copy!

Andromeda Strain was my favorite movie as a kid. It would show up on TV once a year or so, and man was it a big deal. The whole space bug concept and an underground lab was captivating. I still watch it every now and then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our Community Quarantine has been extended until April 30. And we have no choice but to follow. Sadly, seeing from the news and social media that there are still a lot of people who don't follow and chose to stay in crowded places. Heck, there shouldn't have been any crowded places right now but there still are in my country.

I just wish that this ends soon so I can go back doing things I want to do that I can't do now. Keep safe all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was allowed to work from home so I am quite busy and it really helps. because I am beginning to worry with the death toll that I've been hearing

21 - 39 of 39 Posts