The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,086 Posts
Where we live in Washington State (west coast) 1.2 million kids are now out of school until April 24th - 6 weeks. All public gathering of 250 people or more cancelled. Our church has cancelled public Masses for the next 6 weeks.

The unanimous view amongst the experts (those that know what they are effing talking about), say it's going to get worse before it gets better. Changes are almost daily. We are well stocked on food and gas so we'll just hang in there and do the best we can.

We are healthy and safe so are blessed because many others are worse off than us.

New territory for all of us.

On a fun note, the family is binge watching all the disaster, end of the world movies.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Where we live in Washington State (west coast) 1.2 million kids are now out of school until April 24th - 6 weeks. All public gathering of 250 people or more cancelled. Our church has cancelled public Masses for the next 6 weeks.

The unanimous view amongst the experts (those that know what they are effing talking about), say it's going to get worse before it gets better. Changes are almost daily. We are well stocked on food and gas so we'll just hang in there and do the best we can.

We are healthy and safe so are blessed because many others are worse off than us.

New territory for all of us.

On a fun note, the family is binge watching all the disaster, end of the world movies.
Im lucky that I can work from home whenever I wish. We have voluntarily locked ourselves away in our "fortress". A man's home is his castle right? A Staycation if you will.
Similar reactions here in New Mexico, except schools are only closed for next 3 weeks at this point, could be extended as they see fit. Funny you mentioned binge watching disaster movies, just wrapped up 6 hours of Stephen King's The Stand last night, Outbreak is next on the docket once the sun sets and back yard Spring work is done for the day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
They have cancelled the bloody rugby (union)
Here in USA its pretty much every sports event from grade school all the way to the top of the profession leagues. Auto racing events cancelled. Any gathering of significant size has been canceled or postponed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It really is getting serious now especially for us olduns :(

I was speaking to a couple of friends in the States earlier and I was surprised at what they told me, not good.

How's things in your part of the world.
Stay safe and keep appropriate distance from others my friend.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I live in Kentucky, and I think at the moment we have 16 confirmed cases statewide, and one from my city has already been released from the hospital to stay at home. That's encouraging.

My wife works for a non-profit cancer support place, so understandably they have to be super conscious of their members, so all group support sessions have been cancelled, and staff started working from home Friday. Their raises were just put on hold as well.

I've been in outside sales for 35 years, but with my client base I spend most of my time in the office answering emails/phone calls anymore. Effective Monday we've been asked to work from home. I'll have to try and stay busy, but unfortunately I can see a huge drop in business just from the first of the month. So my wallet will suffer also.

I'm not an alarmist or panicky type person, but have to admit it's starting to play with my mind somewhat. I've hoped from the beginning this won't be any worse than any other flu season, but then the "what if I'm wrong" thoughts keep popping in my head. So I'm being more cautious now, but we're pretty much homebodies anyway.

Also with KY being the heartland of college hoops, to hear March Madness being cancelled means the world is coming to an end.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Meaninwhile I'm stuck working on a barge at sea wondering the worst if one of us here is infected. **** we don't even have a contingency plan.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'm pretty much staying at home or fishing in the pond these days. Taking these anti rejection medications which has my immune system suppressed means I wouldn't fare well if I caught the bug. My doctor has cancelled my clinic checkups as a result. I still have to go for labs every week and I'll have to wear a face mask.

And damnit, I cant find any loo roll to save my life!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Meaninwhile I'm stuck working on a barge at sea wondering the worst if one of us here is infected. **** we don't even have a contingency plan.

If nobody aboard is already infected then you may be in a great position to ride it out. Silver linings!

·
Registered
919 Posts
If nobody aboard is already infected then you may be in a great position to ride it out. Silver linings!

We still had a few crew changes over the past few weeks and some transfers of personel from other vessels/rigs. Id have been rest assured if they had stopped any and all personel from entering earlier or at the least complete stop on crew changes till the matter is resolved. Some are upset they won't be seeing their families anytime soon but don't realise that going back means risking the health of their own and loved ones. Infact the best thing to do is stay back and keep earning, with the way oil prices are atm many will be receiving a pink slip soon.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here in Atlanta, GA people are panicky. All events are canceled. I was supposed to do a walk for charity this weekend. Nope. Church canceled too. Legislators were in session and that's even suspended. I'm pretty stocked on food and supplies. We homeschool our kids so no school missed thankfully. I'm in college and my school is moving online.
My wife works at one of the major hospitals and they're already overcapacity and low on supplies. People are stealing masks and gloves and such. They offered all the travel nurses $5,000 a week to go to bad areas and work like 60 hours. $5,000!
Crazy times in our world. Good time to binge-watch Star Wars!

·
Special Member
1,335 Posts
I do believe the precautions set in place for the next several weeks will be of immeasurable help in terms of limiting exposure.

If we can get the virus to peak rapidly, then taper off, we'll all have a better chance, but I do think it's likely that most people will at some point, be exposed to the virus.

The only sure way to prevent exposure is to self quarantine for at least a year, until there's a vaccine available...and most people simply can't do that.

We're limiting exposure ourselves by just having one family member do all the outside of the house errands, shopping, banking, and work..but there's still a fairly good chance that I will come in contact with someone who has the virus or has been exposed to it.

What we're hoping is that if we do get it, we'll just have a mild case like a minor cold or flu bug...but we're planning for the eventuality that our family will get the virus.

Stocked up a little...will still have to go out for weekly groceries, and most shelves that are empty now will be back to normal levels in a week or two..once the excitement dies down some and the hoarders stop hoarding.

But, I just can't completely put my life on hold... have to pay the bills and can't just live in fear... it's not Ebola.. it's the flu.

Here in the US, we may see a slight slow down of the economy, but the fed will print more money and then gradually reel it back in.

Fwiw, I did go to a customer's house today and he was under self quarantine...he stayed inside and I worked outside..so no contact, but there are many home improvement contractors who must go inside of a home, and that could be dangerous.

Next week, I'm seeing a new client who is a college professor and told him we'd need to stay ten feet apart during the consultation for the repairs..he agreed.

Advice to all....stay away from large crowds, enclosed spaces, elevators, airplanes; places where alot of people come and go...and don't worry about the shortage of dry goods, food, etc., supply levels will return to normal soon.

The rest is like any other cold or flu... plenty of vitamin c, drink water, avoid activities that can weaken the immune system... most people who have normal, healthy systems will experience less than severe reactions to the virus.

If you are exposed, and feel ill, get plenty of rest and it's likely that you will beat the virus.

Stay safe out there!

Best, as always,

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
It looks as if the medical effects of COVID-19 will now be with us for months, maybe longer. Clearly the health of the population is the most important but throughout the world there are millions upon millions of poor communities that will suffer greatly if it spreads within their communities.
As an example, we have just returned from S Africa which has many "Townships" of thousands of people living in very poor, overcrowded conditions. Once the virus hits these areas the effects will be very very serious as without the ability to earn a living I'm not sure how they will manage.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I am living in Austria. Due to the corona virus kids stay at home from school till April 13th. With Monday morning there will be a shut down of companies and shops. We will still be able buy food, and medicaments. Postals service will be working too, but I don’t know for how long. Within the last days people were panicking here. Try to get some toiletpaper, you couldn’t, try to get some milk, eggs, noodles.... you couldn’t. It all was like being in some apocalyptic B-movie.
I am a Magican by profession, I earn my living and that of my family with performing. Thanks to corona all(!) cultural events and corporate events were cancelled. Within a few days my whole business has been blown to pieces. No theatre shows, no corporate events, no weddings meaning I have no work within the next months. And noone can guarantee that events will be held up again soon after that crisis is over. I invested over the years in stocks (if that is the right word), guess what, stock market is going down like hell. It’s quite intense and really shitty here right now. If there is one thing that I think is really worth saying is that the whole thing comes over you very fast. Don’t think that it is far away. When you do have infections in your country your government will start to take action. As soon as they start doing that it will be going on very fast because infection numbers will increase fast too and they will try to get ahead of that. So take care everyone, be at least prepared a little and stay healthy my friends. At least we (still) do have this wonderful Forum where we can meet and talk. Thanks John for bringing up the issue of this crisis, I think it is important that we can at least talk about it. On the German watch forum people are not allowed that....
Will keep you posted about the situation here, I don’t think that everything does show up in the media. Drop me a line if you want to know something specific about the situation here in Austria, perhaps it can be helpful how to handle the upcoming situation in your country.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
It looks as if the medical effects of COVID-19 will now be with us for months, maybe longer. Clearly the health of the population is the most important but throughout the world there are millions upon millions of poor communities that will suffer greatly if it spreads within their communities.
As an example, we have just returned from S Africa which has many "Townships" of thousands of people living in very poor, overcrowded conditions. Once the virus hits these areas the effects will be very very serious as without the ability to earn a living I'm not sure how they will manage.
They won't manage as they are barely managing under normal conditions. It will be virtually impossible to implement a lockdown situation in the townships and the government has acknowledged that. Poor outlook forecast.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Today there has been a total lock down declared. We are not allowed to move outside anymore within some very close restrictions. With Monday morning police will control people that will be met outside. This is getting serious.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been following the numbers, 81 thousand infected in China , 67 thousand recovered and 3 thousand dead leaving around 10 thousand still sick, but only 25 new cases today. As a matter of fact during the last month there has been only 10 thousand newly infected in China. Science has confirmed that COVID - 19 spreads quite fast, so following the logic once the virus spreads that's it and there shouldn't be many more new cases. Here in Europe all the numbers seem to be following the same trend as in China, I believe the worst is behind Italy and we can expect the number of newly infected cases to drastically fall in the next few days and to stabilize. Countries where virus started spreading after Italy will have the peak during the next few days and then stabilize. This is of course just what I concluded following the virus data, not scientific fact, but I strongly believe this will not last for months and by the end of April everything will be over.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Well where I am in Newcastle UK 🇬🇧 all seems pretty normal,No Panic Buying in the shops and plenty stuff on the Shelves,I think Geordies have the Attitude Of
“Where’s the Fire” And Don’t Panic At all but Obviously anyone with Sense can appreciate there’s a Problem that’s slowly or Quickly getting worse by the day.
Me Personally I live alone,Have my own Health Problems as most of you know and Getting this Virus would be a bit of a kick in the Nether region for me if I was that unlucky🙈 But On The Plus Side I rarely see anyone and seem to be known as the Cat Guy in my Cul De Sac as the Street Cats Are drawn to me for some reason and I feed them and give them attention so they keep on comin and they are great Company so i don’t mind👍 My Walks are every morning at 4am which keep me fit even if they Hurt like a SOB but at that time not a soul is about so unless the Virus is airborne not much chance there,Schools here seem to be open as normal so like I say things seem pretty much like business as usual.
I’m sure things will change if things progress on a Downward Spiral But I hope
The Powers That Be get their fingers out and Stop this thing in its tracks.

My advice to them is get the DOMESTOS Out as apparently it kills all known Germs Dead👍🙏

Oh and there’s plenty Toilet rolls in our shops even if we are all Full of ****😂

1 - 20 of 39 Posts