The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of customer's 6105s.
Both have good crown seals and yet both of them leak - I put up my pressure tester to 1 ATM - all good but when I release the pressure both of the crowns leak:mad:

I've told them not to allow the watches to go in water (which amazes them) just to be safe.

What, if anything, is the fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you elaborate on the crown seals. Have you dissected the crowns and replaced the rubber o rings? Thanks in advance

I can see that the shape of the seals are still good in the crowns and the crowns are a firm fit on the tube (one crown/seal is new) so they're as good as they can be (I think).

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
So how about if you dried the watches out, suspended them crown up, put them back in your tester and tried to eyeball water dripping through the inside of the tube. That might allow you to confirm or deny the crown/tube/gasket as the source of your leak.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The crown gasket needs to be new enough to be soft (it's not Seiko's best design....). It may appear to fit well but if hard it will allow water ingress (ask me how I know... ;-) )

Have you seen Randall's tutorial on prying out the press-fit washer to replace the gasket?

Paul

I can see that the shape of the seals are still good in the crowns and the crowns are a firm fit on the tube (one crown/seal is new) so they're as good as they can be (I think).

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
The cheapest fix is an AM crown. I've done a few 6105-8110's where people want them water resistant so I supply an AM crown and stem and return the original with the watch. An easy swap to go back to original spec if they want to sell, and you'd be hard pressed to spot the AM crown without examination using a loupe.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cheapest fix is an AM crown. I've done a few 6105-8110's where people want them water resistant so I supply an AM crown and stem and return the original with the watch. An easy swap to go back to original spec if they want to sell, and you'd be hard pressed to spot the AM crown without examination using a loupe.

One of them (this one) has an AM crown!

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how about if you dried the watches out, suspended them crown up, put them back in your tester and tried to eyeball water dripping through the inside of the tube. That might allow you to confirm or deny the crown/tube/gasket as the source of your leak.

Good suggestion but I can see the water going in the case tube / bubbles coming out the crown.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just my opinion, but it would not bother me that an ageing divers watch was not water resistant, let's face it even if it passed would most folk actually risk diving with one of these old girls, it's like a PAT test only as good as the day it was done, passes one day and fails the next.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I replace the gaskets in these regularl as part of service/restoration and have >

never had crown leak that I can recall.

I have experience a few bad tubes but those are few and very far between.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just my opinion, but it would not bother me that an ageing divers watch was not water resistant, let's face it even if it passed would most folk actually risk diving with one of these old girls, it's like a PAT test only as good as the day it was done, passes one day and fails the next.

I agree with you.

One guy doesn't take his in water and I've convinced the other guy not to or put it in a zip lock bag or similar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts