The Watch Site banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally Posted by Sir Les.

First, assemble your tools.

The use of a tea-towel or similar soft cloth is essential if you don't want to be crawling around on the floor for ages, trying to find one of those collars. It also protects the bracelet and crystal from scratches whilst you're working.
The resizing tool makes life so much easier that I'd be inclined to say it's essential, too. You [i]can[/i] use a pin punch and watchmaker's hammer, but the tool not only simplifies the job, it protects the collars against damage as well. The loupe is for old buggers like me so we can see what we're doing, the tweezers are for picking up the collars (they are [i]really[/i] small), the pen and spare pin punch are for replacing the collars, and the springbar tool is for opening the bracelet. OK, here we go.

1. Use the springbar tool to push in the end of the springbar holding the bracelet to the clasp, and open the bracelet so it lies flat. This makes it much easier to work on.

2. Determine how many links you need to remove. As a guide, my wrist is 7.5" and I needed to remove three links, two on one side and one on the other. Try to leave the clasp centred on the underside of your wrist.

3. Lay the bracelet in the resizing tool and adjust the height of the platform if need be by turning the adjusting screw (the small knurled one at the end). This is so the pin punch is centred in the link hole. The lower photo shows how the platform is sloped.

[img]

[img]

4. Once everything is lined up correctly, slowly turn the big plastic handle to push out the pin in the direction of the arrow. Note that you will be pushing at the end where the collar is, so the punch must be small enough to fit inside the collar, otherwise you won't be able to budge the pin. Also note that you may end up with the collar on the end of the punch when you withdraw it. This is OK, just remove it from the punch and put it in a safe place.

[img]

[img]

The first pic (above) shows the collar at the bottom of the link and the shouldered pin at the top. The lower pic shows what they look like with the link separated.

BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DON'T LOSE THE COLLAR OR THE PIN, AS WHEN THEY ARE SEPARATE THEY ARE BOTH A LOOSE FIT IN THE LINK HOLE. ALSO, THE COLLARS ARE ONLY 3MM LONG SO DON'T BRUSH THEM OFF THE TABLE ACCIDENTALLY, THINKING THEY ARE CAKE CRUMBS. (Can you believe I actually did this? Luckily I found it again on the parquet wood floor [img]http://www.network54.com/images/happy.gif)

I found the pin pushed out very easily, which tends to support Cabbai's recent post that Seiko may have slightly adjusted the size of the pin/collar arrangement on new Monster bracelets to make it less tight in the link hole.

OK, we've done the easy part—now for the hard part...putting the links together again!

[img]

5. Slide together the two links to be joined. Using the tweezers, put the collar into the link hole at the end with the arrow, then push the pin into the link from the opposite end and gently into the tip of the collar. Use a ball-point pen or similar to hold the collar in place, and gently apply force to the pin punch to slide the pin into the collar. I found this to be the hardest bit of the whole operation to get right. It takes a bit of practice. Getting the right sized pen is important, as it must be big enough to push on the collar and not so thin as to prevent the pin sliding into it.
Ensure the pin is actually engaged in the collar, and that both the collar and the pin shoulder are recessed somewhat into their respective holes (i.e. not flush with the ends or sticking out of the hole). Attach the bracelet to the clasp and voilà! You've finished!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts