The Watch Site banner

How To Replace Crystal on Seiko Bullhead 6138

10K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  jringo8769 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just a quick one.

I have a Seiko Bullhead that the Crystal is beyond repair on, so I have purchased a NOS crystal for it.

I have bought a crystal press and have tried to find instructions on swapping over the crystal for this model but failed to find exact instructions.

What I want to know is, do you have to remove the bezel on this model to replace the crystal by taking off the bezel and pressing in the crystal with the face up, then putting the bezel back on?

Or do you have to press the crystal out with the face up and pressing it down into the case, and then press the crystal into the case with the face down?

If anyone can point me in the right direction or to some instructions I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
I seem to remember that the crystal is held in place on a rubber gasket by the pressure of the bezel.

I think it's all simply placed on and then a crystal press is used to click the bezel into place.

Sent via t'interweb thingy using magic n stuff....

#3 ·
Well Hello Scott...well the bezel will need to come off with most Seiko watches...under the bezel will be a crystal retaining ring with a gasket under the crystal...of course you have to disassemble the watch before you start...well you will push the crystal out from the inside and press it back in from the outside...it is very simple...you will not need any tools to remove it...just some to reinstall it...the crystal retaining ring can be removed by using a thin bladed knife to open it up and then some gentle persuasion to remove it...this is not a terrible job at all...if you need anything...just ask...God Bless John

#4 ·
It should be simple...but you might find it to be a real pain.

You need to take the movement out - but removing a stem on a 6138 can be problematic. If you get it wrong it just won't go back in again!
My method is to make sure that it is firmly pushed in, then press the release button gently and remove the stem.
When you want to put it back you must gently push it in - if it feels 'springy' then you stop, take it out, turn it a little and try again. When you feel that it has slipped in a fair way, without any spring resistance you can push it home.

Yep, crystal is held in by bezel. Use a caseback knife to gently remove the bezel, the recess is at about 6 o'clock. Then push the crystal out from the inside.
Replace the crystal nicely into the crystal gasket (no need for any silicone), place the bezel back over the top and then use your press to send it home.
Oh curses! It doesn't line up....try again :)

#5 ·
Hi Scott. John is right, except there is no crystal retaining ring, just the bezel.

Look around the underside of the bezel. There will be a little indentation at one point, barely visible and you might need to run a fingernail round to find it. This is where you need to take a knife (pocket knife is perfect) and hold it between the case and the bezel and give it a gentle twist. The bezel should pop off.

Then you need to remove the movement. Have you done this before? It's easy, but you need to be aware there is a chance that when you remove the stem that part of the keyless works will drop out of place and you won't be able to reinsert the stem properly and a watch guy will have to partial dismantle the watch to sort it out. My technique is to leave the crown in the in position with my fingernail under the crown, press the stem release button and gently ease the crown out. No guarantees but that appears to be the least likely way to cause the above. Press in the pushers and lift the movement ring. Remove the pushers and drop the movement out - some will say you should remove the auto wind mechanism first, but I don't.

With the movement out you can press out the glass with finger pressure.

Now be very careful if you decide to also take out the crystal gasket. It's very easy to stretch them and then they're useless and you have to find another. If you must take it out to clean it or the case, gently run your knife around the edge of the gasket and then run it around again gently lifting. At no point should you pull it away.

A little silicone grease on the gasket can help to sit the new crystal into the gasket, but may not strictly be necessary if you don't have any.

Once the crystal is in place you can then re seat the bezel and press it on with your crystal press.

Good luck.

#6 ·
Tritto...thank you for giving the right info...really appreciate it...i was not 100% sure about the retaining ring...Scott..do not worry...if this is a little over your head..we have all been there...if you decide to do this...best advice i ever got is to be very organized and make sure there is a place to store everything as you disassemble it...there is many little pieces that can get easily lost or not put back correctly...and there are great people here to help and some even will do some work for you too...God Bless...John..

#7 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and great info!

I am just getting into the Seiko addiction lark so trying to glean and absorb as much information as possible!

I think I have all the info now, so I'll have to crack on and give it a go now!

Thanks again

Scott

#8 ·
sounds great Scott...these watches can get a little addicting too..please show us when you are done too...Glad to help..God Bless John

#9 ·
There is no better way to learn than to do it. You have all the correct information in hand. All you have to do is go slow be careful and if your not sure stop log back into the forum and ask first as to what you are not sure about. There are so many knowledgeable people on here if you ask questions use your head and buy some basic tools you can most likely do a major amount of repair work on your own watches. This has several benefits. You get your watches fixed when you want them no waiting. You save money which can be used to buy more watches and you make good friends here. Its a win all the way around!

Michael

#10 ·
well Mike you are so right....there is nothing more rewarding that fixing it yourself but nothing more frustrating tearing thing apart and unable to finish...so just take it slow...if you are at all mechanically inclined..you should be ok...and if you get stuck..just post some pics and we will help you get it done...God Bless John

#11 ·
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to say thanks again for all your advice. I finally got around to replacing the crystal today and giving the watch a general clean and polish.

Here is a before picture: -

Here is a shot after: -

I am quite happy with how it has comes out.

One thing this exercise has confirmed is that my eye sight for close up work certainly isn't what it used to be, so a couple of good loupe's are next on the wish list!

Thanks again to you all, especially Tom, Trito and John for the instructions.

Cheers

Scott

#12 ·
Well great job...so how hard was it?...better than expected?....it looks amazing too...God Bless John

#17 ·
well that sounds like a great project...please take lots of pics too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.