The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm fairly new to tinkering with watches. I just ordered a few Natos for my Monster and a spring bar tool as well. No problem with the Monster since it has lug holes.
Now I tried experimenting on the Orient Mako but it doesn't have lug holes. And somehow (i'm sure i'm just not doing it right hehe :-[ ), the spring bar tool (with forked end) doesn't seem to fit the gap on the inside of the bracelet... :(
i tried the "search" function on the forum but to no avail. I also tried the checking the "how to.." section but as mentioned, i don't think the tool fits.. :(
thanks in advance! ;)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Seems unusual. Maybe you can post a picture of the junction of the bracelet to the case from the underside.

Everyone may not specifically know what the New Mako is, but I'm sure a lot of people can help you get the bracelet off just by looking at a picture.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the same problem with my New Mako, I ended up using a needle or pin instead. I found it much harder to put the bracelet back on again... ???

·
Registered
964 Posts
I second the request for picture. Normally all bracelets used on watches without drilled holes have a slot for the small Bergeon "fork".
To put slightly tolerated bracelets with solid end links on and off might, however need two of those tools and a helping hand, or one of those tools:

If you cant get it done with the small fork (remember, there's a bigger size as well), try it with screwdrivers that fit, Ask someone to give you a helping hand to stabilize the watch and try to push down the collars of the spring bars.
If the springbars have no collars (and the watch has no through holes) you will have to destroy the springbars.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey good news! ;D
so i tried it again... but this time using the sharp end of the spring bar tool (pointed one instead of the forked tip). used it and pushed it inwards and.... VIOLA! ;D
was able to remove one end... then the other.. and fit a 20mm Nato (lug with for new mako is 22mm). woohoo!!!! ;D

* sorry for the crappy cam phone pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Necessity is the mother of all invention.

I should add that I have 2 Orients and they are the most difficult to change bracelets. My Orient Star for whatever reason has 2 holes in each lug for the springbar and of course the easiest hole to get is the incorrect one so the end link doesn't fit the case and flaps open for some wrist ventilation. For the other orient, the spring bar doesn't seem too large in overall length, but when compressed, that central tube just barely fits between the lugs, so it is a real challenge getting the bracelet back on. I spent about 30 minutes with it this weekend and have finally decided that it will now officially unofficially have an integrated bracelet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will try to put it back on tonight... if i can't, i'll probably bring to a local watch shop and have it "fixed" for Php50 or a little over $1usd.. ;D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
What are orient collectors calling the "New Mako". I ask only because Mako seems to be the default nickname that everyone runs to every time a diver style orient comes out and I can't keep track of which mako is which. Got any pics and info?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isthmus said:
What are orient collectors calling the "New Mako". I ask only because Mako seems to be the default nickname that everyone runs to every time a diver style orient comes out and I can't keep track of which mako is which. Got any pics and info?

i believe it's the Hogrider? More than 70% sure but still not 100% sure... ;D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Oh the Hogrider. That's a cool watch with a cool and funny name (even funnier naming story). Why is anyone calling it the new Mako? It's not like it was a replacement for the Mako or like it shares anything in common with that watch besides the brand-name and movement. The mako, though not my favorite watch, has been a real hit for orient amongst collectors. however, from some reason it seems to cast a shadow over every new orient sport diver I see. I swear every time a new one dive-related orient comes out there seems to be a line of people waiting to call it the mako this or mako that, as if Mako was the only name available.

BTW, I think the Hogrider is a rocking cool watch.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The Orient USA people have it labeled as New Mako on their web site so a lot of people are getting it from there. Model is CEM75001.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts