The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SCWF has traditionally bee mostly about Seiko's, with citizen and orient coming in at a distant second. Casios are hardly talked about. However, casios (and especially G-shocks) have an ENORMOUS following. one of the things we are trying to do with the new site is expand the focus of discussion to intentionally promote discussion of Casios and G-Shocks.

Just as an FYI We have already created a Casio / G-Shock Reviews section, and we have also created a manuals section for them.

I was thinking that we could have a Casio day (Casio Tuesdays?) and perhaps organize a few G-Shock group buys in order to get people in the mood for G and get them talking about them more.

Please chime in with your ideas for promoting further Casio / G-shock discussion.

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That sounds like a fine idea to me. I had a couple G-Shocks "back in the day," maybe 1982-87 or so?

I've recently become more interested in them again, particularly the ones that are solar and radio controlled. Wouldn't mind getting one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Casio (non-G) and Casio G-Shocks have some very nice models at good price points. Maybe have a "WRUW" for Casio's and G-Shock's. People seem to really like pictures (with model numbers), which could lead to more discussion.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess we don't talk about Casio's in detail because they are all quartz watches. Great watches (some of mine go back many many years), but the quartz drive isn't exactly inovative or seductively pretty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some of the Oceanus and Edifice models have caught my eye lately, although many are a little 'busy' for my taste.

Some great pictures can be found at Tanaka's blog - for the uninitiated, scroll down until you see a small watch picture you like, then click on the model number highlighted in blue text under that picture to reveal more and better pics...

there are Casio and also Seiko, Citizen and Orient pages if you look down, somewhere in the left side menu here; (posting a link directly to the Casio page didn't work, sorry)....

(Just take some of the translations with a pinch of salt - one of them says the watch has 'pinstripes that blend into anywhere you feeel like going' etc etc, but at least you can tell size, case material and battery life etc)......

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://blog.watch-tanaka.shop-pro.jp/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://blog.watch-tanaka.shop-pro.jp/%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

·
Registered
534 Posts
IMO, SCWF has always been known for its Seiko content with splatterings of the other Japanese brands. Usually WISs go to niche brand forums for their information. Newbies wanting to learn about their new Japanese watch will google the name and come up with certain sites. I personally have WUS G Shock, HEQ, Seiko, and Chinese Mechanical Watch forums bookmarked. The Orientwatchsite for my Orients etc.
On the old site I used to post about my Casio AMWs and raved about them being the best bang/buck watch and others chimed in with their great models, showing that other WISs did indeed own them but never posted until then! So, for sure, there are many fellow members owning Gs and Casios who would love to show and tell!
To add Japanese watch brand variety here, it would be good to have a WRUW Casio, Orient, Citizen DAY post, leaving it up to the member to start the threads....still leaving the main forum focus on our beloved Seikos. So many international members have such great knowledge on our Seikos that this forum has become the #1 Seiko Forum in the world IMO...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good idea!! I have a Casio PAW1500 and it is one of my favorite watches and a real technological marvel. Solar powered and atomic clock sync'd each day, tide levels, moon phase, chrono, alarms, etc, etc and 200m WR to boot.

Dave

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
No problem Gabe!

I have one to show in my upcoming unveiling, whenever I can get it done tonight. :'(

I am taking a break while my Canon RAW image processor grinds away at the images.

You'll see it tonight sometime, if you stay up late enough! :D

- Thomas "MotoWatch"

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Oh yeah I'm down with this. I just got the bug to get my first gshock, a froggy, the greeny, love sea and earth. Haven't found a decent priced one yet.
I'd be into group buy, depending on model.
Right now, can't participate in the Casio Tuesday. :(
I seem to only dig the Frogman so far. Need to really educate myself on the gshock selections.
Still hesitant about the hype over these.

Dave

·
Registered
534 Posts
sharkfinDave said:
Oh yeah I'm down with this. I just got the bug to get my first gshock, a froggy, the greeny, love sea and earth. Haven't found a decent priced one yet.
I'd be into group buy, depending on model.
Right now, can't participate in the Casio Tuesday. :(
I seem to only dig the Frogman so far. Need to really educate myself on the gshock selections.
Still hesitant about the hype over these.

Dave
Dave, google Peopleland Sjors iconic G shock site for all the classic G models! I started there back in 2004 and bought many Gs seen in his collection.... :D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd be down for a group buy of the right model. I've been looking at the solar/atomic 7900 a lot lately, but I'm not sure how popular that is in the G-Shock world. :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
UpstandingCitizen said:
Are you talking about the green one shown here?

I would love to own the new Frogman (regular black model). I just don't know about dropping $600 on one. :o
[/quote]
YES, thats the one. Yeah, very expensive IMO. :o
Its always the case for all the watches I fall for. LOL. ???
Yeah I'm down with group buy for a froggy. ;D

Dave

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
thianwong said:
me too! the Bumblebee yellow is awesome...but BIG at 50mm wide...

[/quote]

Thanks for the link Thian.
Don't all these crazy colours and resin cases seem kinda Transformer like?
Is that the appeal, and all us nerds can't get enough of the fun toys we all had as kids? lol.
I'm slowly building up my lust for a g-shock now. Uh-oh. :-\

Dave

1 - 20 of 33 Posts