The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought a advertised 7009 Seiko5 from a low rated Indian (East variety) ebay seller KNOWING that I would get the lowest quality junk watch possible, as I didn't want to risk learning on a decent watch. So, I have a watch, "In run order" NOT! I had the back off and it is marked 7009, but I have no idea how to further ID the watch. Does one rely on pictures? There are so many Seikos I don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Howard.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well what you posted is a fake/repainted dial, but nothing says 7009. Besides looking like a cheap flat printed dial you won't find a Seiko with that bad of a print job, and none will have Japan Made like that either. The Seiko logo is not the correct font even for a printed logo. Seiko doesn't have a red 5 badge either, those are all fakes. Almost all Seiko dials have the movement number followed by the dial lot number at the bottom. The movement pictured clearly shows 6309A for a movement, not 7009. The 'Automatic' is horrible too.

Here's an example of the text at the bottom. Nice sharp small font showing it's a 6309 watch with the dial lot code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, first discovery is that my watch, sold as a 7009 is actually a 6309. what are the second four numbers? Thanks, H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Haha, thanks Zeke. I think I was typing when your answer arrived. I meant to buy a junk Seiko to learn on so I sure can't be disappointed in this one. I did learn a bit about Seiko numbers in this process. That's more than I knew this morning. Thanks a lot, H.

PS
I misread the number inside due to old eyes and not enough magnification,H

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
A 6309 is a great movement to start with, it's worth the $20 or so to experiment on.

Here's an example of a real military style Seiko, the type they tried to imitate. Notice the dial code at the bottom and everything is sharp and looks like quality printing and the font used by Seiko.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

And here's a couple more examples of fake dials.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have noticed that certain unscrupulous peps are buying these India watches cheap and listing them on UK auction sites at lowish prices but still making a few quid. They not only have the different coloured dials, incorrect font text but also unusual hour markers and of course they have been polished to high heaven.

BUT there are those that are truly dishonest....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have noticed that certain unscrupulous peps are buying these India watches cheap and listing them on UK auction sites at lowish prices but still making a few quid. They not only have the different coloured dials, incorrect font text but also unusual hour markers and of course they have been polished to high heaven.

BUT there are those that are truly dishonest....
The same in the U.S. I saw a 6349 a few months ago. Listed as extremely rare and asking $750 for it. The dial didn't even fit the 6 sided case right, it was a normal fake round dial and the 12 and 6 numbers were half under the top plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts