The Watch Site banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many, I started out learning how to tinker with the 7S26, mostly thanks to the great 7S26 tutorial by Nicholas Hacko. Now I've promoted myself to a beautiful 4S12 and straight away made a classic newbie mistake - hopefully sharing it will prevent others doing the same.

I was having trouble installing the balance wheel. It wouldn't turn freely no matter how many times I re-tried. Again and again I checked the pivots (looked fine), the jewels (looked fine) and the position of the wheel (looked fine). After probably an hour the penny dropped... This is a hacking movement and with the crown pulled out the balance wheel is prevented from swinging - d'oh! Pushed the crown in and everything was fine :)

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
You've got bigger cohones and more money than me, using a 4S12 as a practice piece! wow!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not quite that brave! I waited until I've had a lot of practice but only on 7S26 movements, hence not being used to a hacking movement. Lucky I (eventually) noticed without anything breaking.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not quite that brave! I waited until I've had a lot of practice but only on 7S26 movements, hence not being used to a hacking movement. Lucky I (eventually) noticed without anything breaking.
Don't worry, exactly the same happened to me when I moved from the basic movement to 4R36 or 6R15. It must be noted however that for regulation even the 7S26 must be kept stem pushed it. Otherwise setting wheels are engaged and strange things happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts