The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you consider 'vintage'? Kinda like cars, 15 years a classic? I used the production calculator here and my fathers bellmatic according to calc is a 1971 watch. I definitely consider that vintage, but my early 80's quartz...well they are about 30 years old now!

Charlie

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Don't think there is a rule. Vintage is a term for Wine not cars or watches. It's just moved along with the language over the years to mean things other than Wine. Personally I always view 30-50 years = retro or old school (skool), 50+ as Vintage and 100+ as Antique. That's how I haved it in my head anyway but everyone is different. Vintage cars in the UK means pre 1950 but that will never change so anything post 1950 will only ever be a classic not vintage vehicle. Strange but true! Basically the short version is call it what you want, retro, vintage, antique, rare it doesn't really matter as the people who know, know and the people who don't, do not matter!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Opinions vary on vintage - some take it as at least 30 years old, others 25 years old, others before 1980, and still others watches made before the quartz revolution.

The interesting divide here is that some metrics are age based and others period-based.

I'd tend to go with the latter - that vintage watches were from an age of watch development, not just watches that have been kicking around for long enough.

I just don't see both a 1964 and 2014 watch sharing the 'vintage' term in 2044. If they do, the first round of robohol-smoothies (or whatever) is on me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In my opinion, anything which is 50 years older is generally called vintage and anything older than 100 years called antique.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The terms 'vintage' and 'Antique' to define an exact time frame are arbitrary in my view, you watch the Antiques Roadshow and they have modern antiques from the 70's and 80's.

Same with 'Classic' if you think something is classic, such as a car then it is. More legitimacy accrues as more folk think the same way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts