The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I'd like to know a couple of things about my watch. First of all, how old is it? The serial number (260400) indicates either June of 1982 or 92. Perhaps these extra details will help determining whether it's an 82 or 92...

The back of the case is stamped Seiko, 260400, stainless steel, water resistant KF, double lightening bolt symbol (Daini), 5Y23-8A11 A4.

The black dial reads Seiko Quartz, SQ, 5Y23 8E4M R, double lightening bolt symbol again (Daini), Movt Japan. Edit: The days of the week are in English and French.

Inside, the movement reads Seiko Time Corp, One jewel, 5Y23A, Japan.
The inside of the case back is stamped Seiko Time Corp, Hong Kong.

Also, when I opened the back cover and changed the battery a few days ago, I found that the battery didn't have a hold down arm/tab. Is this normal for a 5Y23 movement?

The case back is the only thing that holds this battery in place and makes the electrical connection! Seems weird to me.... Edit: I've looked at quite a few pics on the web and it looks like this is normal for this movement.

So, I guess we're back to - Was this made in 1982 or 92?
I'd sure appreciate your responses. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob,
You may be right. Any particular reasons?

Fwiw, I just went through the 1992 and 82 catalogs and couldn't find the watch. I didn't even see ANY with the SQ markings! :confused:
Was my watch made for the North American or European market and therefore is not in the Japanese catalogs? I did buy it from the States.

The search is still on... Thanks.

·
Special Member
5,319 Posts
Hi, The only 5Y23 I have which I purchased new in 2000, is in the photo below....Bob.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one Bob and thanks for your input.

It's weird, I've looked through a few Japanese late 80's and early 90's catalogs on this site and can't find ANY watches with a 5y23 movement or an SQ indication! Maybe I'm going blind?! :confused:

Does anyone know when 5y23's were produced? Any catalog shots?

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
Every time I read the title of your post i think that must be one love struck WIS "dating" his watch until I read the actual post, I really need to get out more !!! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks, but I already went through all the 1980's and 1990's Seiko catalogs. There's no 5Y23 watches listed (Unless I missed it) :sleep:
Could it be that my watch is listed in a catalog for a Non-Japanese market? As mentioned earlier, it has English and French days, not Kanji...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts